Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Pickup Swap For A Gretsch Double Anniversary

Hello I have a 1965 Double Anniversary I picked up sometime ago it has the factory Hi Lo Trons If I wanted to swap out pickups with a pair of filltrons would it require any type routeing or is it just a matter of exchanging. Thanks

You would need to rout. This:

I've been meaning to call TV Jones to see if he can make a flush mount Filter as I 'm looking to do the same to a '64 6117 that's in just too good of shape to cut up. Seems like it would just be a matter of pole pieces that don't extend past the bottom in a cover that fits under the strings. Any space cased by the screws that hold the bobbins would be covered by the surrounds. Mine has a recent neck reset though, and has plenty of room for 2 bridge height Hilo's, which I think are the same height as modern neck Filter covers.

Never called because money got tight with COVID and didn't wanna take up his time if I wasn't ready to spend. If I was ready it's just a matter of measuring the height of the strings from the body wood at each pickup and seeing if TV can make something to fit that has pole pieces flush with the base plate.

My good friend has a 1960s Anniversary with HiLotrons and it sounds incredible. I would bet someone would be willing to trade you their 1960s Filtertron equipped guitar for yours. From my perspective HiLotrons and Anniversaries go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Tom offers his version of the HiLo’Tron in both surface-mount and recessed options so I can’t see why he couldn’t do the same for a F’Tron. Gotta be worth a call.

My good friend has a 1960s Anniversary with HiLotrons and it sounds incredible. I would bet someone would be willing to trade you their 1960s Filtertron equipped guitar for yours. From my perspective HiLotrons and Anniversaries go together like peanut butter and jelly.

– BuddyHollywood

Ignore my previous comment; I asked Tom, it can’t be done.

Ignore my previous comment; I asked Tom, it can’t be done.

– Deke Martin

Did he mention what the issue would be??

Did he mention what the issue would be??

– 66gent

Yes, it’s the way the pups are constructed. From Tom:

“I am sorry it wouldn’t work. The magnet is mounted under the Bobbins on a Filter’Tron. Hilo-Trons have the magnet mounted on the side of the bobbin.”

Armstrong P90, Seymour DeArmond...best combo I've tried so far.

Billy’s set up would be highly tempting.

I put TV Jones filters in a ‘67 Tennessean. Yes, I had to rout the top, but I was never sorry about it. I never could get along with those weak HiLoTrons.

Hilotrons sound great in Tennesseans and Double Anniversaries and most guitars frankly. Don't give into the 70's,80s and 90s macho high gain pickup mania. The bad rap hilotrons have is a holdover from the past.

However it is your guitar and if that's what you really need to do you'll have to cut some big holes in the top. Be careful of the braces though as they're a big part of what holds your top up.

If you haven’t already, be sure you experiment first with adjusting the heights of the HiLo Trons. Shims required, or try some foam shims for varying adjustment.

I posted this before but will again. These pickups in concert with each other are great. Listen to this. Then again I am partial to both P90s and Mosrite pickups. I just noticed the name on thee channel must be our GDP member knavel -

sounds far too compressed to me.

The guitar at the top of the thread being cut and the one in the video clip in post 17 are the same guitar as implied. That's getting to be a very old clip and my home at the time where that clip was made was a huge room with no carpet and just done with a pocket point and shoot camera. A ton of its own natural reverb.

I would mention that when I bought the 1960 Anniversary in question, its neck was so bent that you could shoot arrows off of it. This was a time (mid-late 1980s) when if a Gretsch had a neck reset its vintage value was halved.

So my brother and I cut.

I could make a clip like that today and it would have good sound quality, like this one my brother felt compelled to put together for some reason a month or so ago.

For my part, if I have time to make a video like this these days I have time to record my songs and the latter is what I'm going to work on.

As it happens there is a track I'm working on that at least now has three guitar parts and I use each setting on that Anniversary (P-90/Mosrite/both). When (hopefully) we get it mixed perhaps there will be an opportunity to reference it here when talking about pickups configurations.

By the way my 1960 Anniversary in its first modified form had its original HiLo Tron in the neck and a ceramic Filtertron in the bridge (I had no idea about ceramic versus alnico filters when I bought the pick up from Duke Kramer).

That pickup configuration was pretty good in the studio as well. All the guitar work here that isn't that washy one in the right channel is that 1960 Anniversary.

In this track the Anniversary with the HiLo and ceramic Filter is in the right channel.

And here she is today, saying goodbye to her 1959 sister before the "nice one" went to her new home in Sweden.

I ended up getting this anniversary 6117 it was originally a single anniversary model it’s a 1959 It was professionally cut & the Filtron added along with the bigsby it’s as clean as you can get for its age Sounds unbelievable original case & parts came with it also

Register Sign in to join the conversation