Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Photos of Completed 1960, 6125 Conversion

This is the final followup to this post: http://gretschpages.com/for...

I was going to wait until I did a short video demo, but that could be a while. It will get put through its paces at tonight's gig. Here are some photos of the finished conversion; one per post of course.

Last one. I'd like it if the Filter'tron in the bridge position had a little more output, but we'll see how everything works with overdrive pedals. So far I'm loving the guitar; trestle bracing but still light & lively.

Pretty cool! Apologize if you've already explained this, but are those both TV Jones pickups? I did this in the past (to my SSLVO!) and found that the T-Armond kind of over-powered the filter). That aside, it looks great. Look forward to hearing it!

Pretty cool! Apologize if you've already explained this, but are those both TV Jones pickups? I did this in the past (to my SSLVO!) and found that the T-Armond kind of over-powered the filter). That aside, it looks great. Look forward to hearing it!

– reverb11

The neck position has one of the Fender designed Dearmond 2000 pickups and the bridge has the original PAF Filter'tron that was in the neck position. The neck is just a tad hotter. I'll see how this works on the gig tonight. If it is problematic, I can have the other Dearmond 2000 that I have wound a bit hotter and replace the Filter'tron. As it is now, it's not a huge difference in volume, the middle position is very useable, and I when I use the bridge pickup alone, there is always some kind of boost or overdrive on it. The old PAF sounds beautiful, but I would describe the sound as warm and mellow as compared to twangy. I like the Dearmond 2000 in the neck because it has body without sacrificing clarity and top end; it can get into Tele territory.

Have a good show tonight.

I clicked your link and read the other thread. I think you made the right choice keeping the original fingerboard, too. Cool guitar. Let us know how things balance out after you've played it with the band.

Nice. On my conversion, I have the bridge pickup about 3/16-7/32 below the strings. It balances out the level.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

I'll try that JD; looks like there might be a little room to come up closer to the strings.

Looks great! Please let us know how it works out tonight.

Nice! I had a single DeArmond 2 tone Anniversary that I picked up in LA and I added another DeArmond..that I bought in San Francisco (I was on tour) I also put a Chet arm bigsby on it. It was a cool guitar, quite similar to yours. I sold it to a friend first time my band went kaput about 20 years ago. Wish I at least had a picture of it now.

Very nice! I love green Annies. I have a 59 6125 and a 64 6118.
Adding a DeArmond to the neck is a nice choice. They sound great on Hollow bodies. As mentioned before: you can bring the Filtertron very close to the strings, that could even the volumes out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation