Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Peter Van Wood and his Triple Dyna Falcon….

I gotta admit, that falcon ticks some boxes for me...

The Van Woody on the body isn't my thing, nor the big painted triangle (ala Silvertone Catalina), nor the backwards guard in some of the pics/videos. But three pickups always looks badass.

Interesting. What kind of vibrato system is this in the video? Did he take that off a cheapo and put it on the Falcon? Those were days...

I did notice that, but we see his Caddy Tail there. I guess he liked it, or maybe couldn't get a Bigsby.. Who knows...

Cool guitar!

Apparently, the three pickups weren't stock...

Anders

(Edit: I have no idea why the link shows a completely different picture than the one in the vid...)

Cool guitar!

Apparently, the three pickups weren't stock...

Anders

(Edit: I have no idea why the link shows a completely different picture than the one in the vid...)

– gretschoholic

I say that's another Falcon. Compare the controls from the video still with the guitar in post #1.

You're right, Sascha. I never imagined one guy could have two different Falcons with different number of (the same kind of) pickups... According to wikipedia (which means it MUST be true, right?) his WF was a signature model.

Peter Van Wood was born as Peter van Houten in The Hague, Netherlands on 19 September 1927. He began playing guitar at a very early age when he was fourteen years old, and he studied at the Royal Conservatory of The Hague. At the same time, he started listening to great Jazz guitar players and began playing in small groups in and around the Netherlands. He was among the first to use the electric guitar and special effects such as echo and reverb. In 1946, he performed at the London Palladium, and in 1947 and 1948 he toured all over the world, including concerts at the Olympia theatre at 28, Blvd. des Capucines, in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, and at the Carnegie Hall in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. There he earned is trademark "signature" guitar, a unique "custom" Gretsch White Falcon (allegedly a personal gift, or maybe an "endorsing", from Fred Gretsch, and humorously dubbed by an Italian TV host "the texan milkman's guitar")

Read all about him here.

Interesting. What kind of vibrato system is this in the video? Did he take that off a cheapo and put it on the Falcon? Those were days...

– sascha

The vibrato looks like the (part of?) the same one that I have seen on ebay for months (and never heard of):

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vint...

That "other" guitar has a Synchromatic headstock. I would guess it's an Electro II.

You know I've been chasing vintage Gretsch guitars around for awhile, and have seen more than a few. But HOW have I not ever heard of this amazing Falcon until now?!

That "other" guitar has a Synchromatic headstock. I would guess it's an Electro II.

– kc_eddie_b

Not really, Ed. What you refer to is just a weird pic (see Anders' P.S. in post #4) and is not the guitar that appears in the 'video' and where the detail pic is taken from. Those are actually 2 different Falcons I say.

screen shot from the video

To each their own, but it looks like "drills" worked as well in the 50's as they do today for some folks! LOL

Not really, Ed. What you refer to is just a weird pic (see Anders' P.S. in post #4) and is not the guitar that appears in the 'video' and where the detail pic is taken from. Those are actually 2 different Falcons I say.

– sascha

Oh.. Ok, I follow you now. But the guitar in the "weird pic" is an Electro II.

Is this 3 Dynas WF a 18" body ? I guess 18 or even + ... 19" ... !!!

Is this 3 Dynas WF a 18" body ? I guess 18 or even + ... 19" ... !!!

– joss s.

Unless you have some specific info on a larger body spec on this, I'm thinking he's just a little guy.

Wow ! no specific info, but this white thing looks very big !

Ok, I made my homework but that's very approximative... I kept the proportions from the gretsch WF page and apply it to the black & white pic. The two looks very close one to the other. Sorry for my 18"/19" hazardous guess...

here is the pic : headstock + neck and bridge are perfectly matching... and the body size is very close with perhaps the modern WF a little smaller but that within the margin-error...

I guess if you have a guitar like that, it really doesn't matter what you play.

WOW, what's cheezier - the song or the wink?? That guitar is awesome in its cheeziness though!!

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the video and infos here. A lot more entertaining than the Blues Dentist.

An old thread - but just had to add a few more pics of the this White Falcon wielder. Perhaps the only one who ever earned a living as an astrologer too as a side hustle.

Register Sign in to join the conversation