Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Pat # Filters on a 1960 Jet?

Considering buying a local Jet for sale but like the title says the pickups are patent #s instead of PAFs. Is it possible? I know the move to Pat #s didn't occur exactly on 1/1/61, but when was the turnover - did PAFs continue into early 1961 or did #s start in late 1960. No serial # has been provided yet. Trying to get the batch at least.

Pat Number Filtertrons on a 1960 model year Gretsch doesn't phase me at all. My '60 6120 (#367xx) has them. If you can give me the batch info on the Jet, I can check the other examples I've documented from that group to confirm what they have.

Pat Number Filtertrons on a 1960 model year Gretsch doesn't phase me at all. My '60 6120 (#367xx) has them. If you can give me the batch info on the Jet, I can check the other examples I've documented from that group to confirm what they have.

– kc_eddie_b

drool

Ditto the drool and thanks Ed, that gives me more confidence. When I get a reply I'll post the batch if he provides it. It's a 6121 so maybe it's part of your 6120's batch.

How about sculpted pickup bezels on a '58? This one isn't local and it's a caddy Club not a jet but it looks like blank pickup covers and sculpted bezels.

Second time in the last year I'm trying to choose between an old Jet and Caddy Club - poor me, huh? The Club being trestle braced would be unlike any other old Gretsch I have and is kinda overpriced but super clean, and the 6121 is kinda the same as the 6131 I just bought and put a bar bridge and Bigsby on, but is just sooooooo cool, reasonably priced and I think more likely to keep increasing in value. And I can put the 6131 back to original for a different flavor.

Ooh... now you've done it... you said it's a 6121. Only my fav Gretsch model of all time! We gotta see it!

Ooh... now you've done it... you said it's a 6121. Only my fav Gretsch model of all time! We gotta see it!

– kc_eddie_b

If I wind up with it you will.

I took a run at the '60 6121 from the Bachman-Gretsch collection in the recent Julien's auction. Like many of the guitars in that event it sold for more money than I was willing to part with.

Hey Ed, seller provided the full serial # which is 38875. Do you have any info?

It's from the second to last batch of '60 model year 6120/6121. It's the only 6121 I've documented from the #388xx batch, whereas I have 5 specimens documented from the next batch (#394xx). That might mean that less were included in this particular batch. If it hasn't already had it addressed you'll want to research finding a good repro guard as the original was broken, and the "tip" is missing. Otherwise she looks pretty sweet! Best of luck on your quest to land her!

Thank you so much, Ed!! You sure are thorough. If you want an update, it now has a tortoise guard (correct shape NOT Round-UP style), one non-original knob, and a decal on the bass side of the Bigsby. The seller says the decal seems like it's been there forever so maybe you know that already. It looks like a waterslide and I figured it wouldn't be hard to remove but he says it won't be easy.

I could live with all that but unfortunately the binding looks like it's just at the start of having issues - cracks here and there, pulling away here and there, one area that either took a hit and chipped or is starting to crumble. It's local, but local as in 1-1/2 hour drive so it's not like I can pop over and see it.

The 1958 6196 I'm also interested in is now seeming like it's not a '58. It has sculpted bezels and PAFs, which is fine it could be a '59, but the guy won't be home until Sunday and he says he's pretty sure it's NOT trestle braced which would kill it for me at his price. Did they have trestles in '60? What year did they go thinline? This is full depth, no standby switch so it's pre thinning. Gonna ask for the serial on that too. I have a manual on 50's Gretsches with serial # batch charts at the end and everything so I should be able to figure out a year if I get a serial.

On the bright side there's also a double cut 6121 literally 20 mins down the road that's been rebound by Curt, so options, options.

But I'm hoping he's wrong about the trestles because my heart was really with that big Caddy. I'd obviously LOVE to have either version 6121 and play the hell out of it, but I've wanted an early Filter 6196 for a LONG time.

Ed - 3675X, but with PAFs! So that was the transition batch??

– JBGretschGuy

My 386xx Jet Firebird has PAFs so probably not a clean switchover more likely grab whatever is in the bin.

Also, same drool!! as for Ed's. They had some nice wood for that 367xx batch, huh?

– JBGretschGuy

Whoa! For both examples.

– kc_eddie_b

Man, that has got to be one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen! I love how it isn't perfectly tiger-flamed or book-matched. A real looker!

Thank you! I believe the 359XX and the 367XX batch both had some stunners in them. It seems we found the transitional batch for PAF to Pat #s in 6120s

66gent... that book you have on 50s Gretsch guitars will show that there was only a single batch of 100 Country Clubs for the 1958 model year... and Curt Wilson will testify to their specialness. As far as trestle-bracing... my '62 Club has them, so I would think the '59 model year example you're considering would as well.

66gent... that book you have on 50s Gretsch guitars will show that there was only a single batch of 100 Country Clubs for the 1958 model year... and Curt Wilson will testify to their specialness. As far as trestle-bracing... my '62 Club has them, so I would think the '59 model year example you're considering would as well.

– kc_eddie_b

Yes thanks again, Ed. I googled it and saw an old thread of you guys discussing just that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation