Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Optimistic seller?

It’s in Switzerland, so the exchange rate may be a factor. Does seem high though ....

High, yes, but these are probably really rare in Europe. Considering CITES and import duties and shipping/insurance, it might not be too bad of a deal there.

Seller states... "everything original except for the Grover machine heads." So if we take him at his word... that green guard reveals that this was once a 2-tone green Annie. There were some factory red finished Anniversary guitars made, but the ones I've seen are from a few years later, and were not equipped with green guards. The finish on this example (along with the neon yellow binding) suggests to me that this is not one of those. Appears to me to be a refinish. So... yeah, the asking price is unreasonable (by 2x-3x).

IIRC the red and black Annies were factory finished in opaque lacquer; this one is semi-transparent.

I've got some pocket lint for the bargain price of $867.53. All original, no mods, no breaks, no repairs. Relatively speaking, that's a steal.

Seller states... "everything original except for the Grover machine heads." So if we take him at his word... that green guard reveals that this was once a 2-tone green Annie. There were some factory red finished Anniversary guitars made, but the ones I've seen are from a few years later, and were not equipped with green guards. The finish on this example (along with the neon yellow binding) suggests to me that this is not one of those. Appears to me to be a refinish. So... yeah, the asking price is unreasonable (by 2x-3x).

– kc_eddie_b

...or the green guard isn't original. Still, I figure you're right.

There is clear lacquer overspray on the label. Hollow body Gretsches originally always had the F holes sealed off so there never was overspray on the inside. They were sealed off from the inside (before assembly) and after applying the lacquer the holes were opened up from the outside. Obviously that was not possible here, so I'm pretty sure it's a refin.

...or the green guard isn't original. Still, I figure you're right.

– wabash slim

Seller claims “all original”. So the green guard MUST be original. (Excuse my dripping sarcasm).

Is it just me, or does it not look like the hardware and fingerboard were oversprayed? Bizarre.

It's in Switzerland. EVERYTHING is expensive in Switzerland! Last year we were in the Alps, in Austria, Italy and Germany. We reeeeally wanted to go to Switzerland but it's just crazy expensive to visit. It's a shame as it has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Since we both share the same mother tongue I contacted the seller and told him about the issues in a kind and serious way. He appreciated my message saying he had no idea it could be re-finished. The guitar is available in an online ad and while it was offered there lower than on 'reverb' from early on he lowered the asking price to €2000 there. He didn't edit the description so far, though.

Besides the said issues it could still be a nice little guitar or am I missing something else? Please keep in mind that you will not get a Vintage Gretsch for less than €1000 over here. I prefer honest business but wouldn't be surprized if it sells soon.

$3,600. US Dollars?? Is he F'n kidding? I'd give him $500. tops..

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

You have to be a little careful comparing EU/UK prices with US prices. Remember Gretsch is a US brand so they are naturally rarer over here and command higher prices. Therefore a great deal of them are personal imports that have been done over the years. This incurs high carriage charges, import duty and VAT pushing the price up further.

This all makes for a more expensive guitar in EU/UK, but if'n'when that guitar comes up for sale the seller is looking to sell in their own market, not back to the US. If you factor in the weaker USD against the GBP or EUR it does come out looking hideously expensive, but 2800EUR is not really so unreasonable for a vintage Annie, especially for a rare colour*.

*This assumes the finish is genuine of course, which we all seem to think is not likely.

I think Danman is spot on.

Refinished 2-tone green Annie.

And as such, overpriced

Register Sign in to join the conversation