Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Odd Vintage Gretsch

One of my coworkers mentioned her grandfather had an old Gretsch guitar while I was talking about old archtops with another person. She had her brother send a pic of it and I’ve never seen one with this sort of burst. It’s a triple burst and the neck is cracked, she said. You can see in the photo that the binding is separating. It’s a Synchromatic and looks like it’s maybe a 40’s model? What do you guys think?

i haven't a clue, but just wanted to say that's one of the most unusual bursts i've ever seen. every day brings something new, as Marty Balin once sang.

Thanks, guys. I’ve relayed the info back over to her.

That's a beauty. Interesting case as well.

I'll echo lx's sentiments. That's not an uncommon finish for pre-war American Orchestra models, but I've never seen it on a post-war Gretsch.

The case is a VOX case from the 60s.

– Joe Desperado

It does seem newer than the guitar.

It's like they were searching for ways to make sunburst even uglier

It's like they were searching for ways to make sunburst even uglier

– Otter

We've seen a few of these tri-bursts around here and they are indeed ugly.

Any thoughts on value? It will need a neck repair, for sure.

I love the tri-burst finishes. Just another uniquely Gretsch thing.

As to value, I think there are others here that would know better than me, but these aren't terrible sought after. Probably under $1000.

I love the tri-burst finishes. Just another uniquely Gretsch thing.

As to value, I think there are others here that would know better than me, but these aren't terrible sought after. Probably under $1000.

– Afire

I'd say waaaay under $1K. Don't know as I'd contemplate an expensive neck reset on one of these lower end models.

Register Sign in to join the conversation