Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Odd Tenny, or refin Annie??

For me--The headstock makes it a Tenny.

The finish looks pretty right on for a 59/60 version. We dont know if its 2.75 or 2.5?

A close up of the pickguard and its cuts for the two pickups would be helpful. The PG detail would tell the tale of its being custom ordered. If the PG is a clean factory looking guard then Id say its right as rain for an odd custom tenny.

And its odd...

I did notice the pickup bezels are different, one has the correct looking inner radii, while the other has the tighter radii and looks to be a different color. For me, if Gretsch made a 2 pickup Tenny, they would have added the tone switch and controls, so I think it’s possible that the front pickup was added a later date.

I agree that the neck pickup is a later addition. And the G tailpiece is Jet sized, so also not original. All signs point to it having started life as a stock '61 Tennessean (and it wouldn't be the first we've seen with a bound fingerboard) that subsequently had the zero fret removed, second pickup added and bridge and Bigsby replaced.

And I do agree with lx that the factory would happily oblige oddball custom orders, but the real ones hold up under scrutiny. This one doesn't.

I agree with Afire that this one doesn't hold up. The factory wouldn't have the nut area hacked up like this one. This work to remove the zero fret is an obvious after-the-fact job as the factory wouldn't have had a zero fret if ordered that way and then taken out after being installed.

Well... THAT was fun! We haven't had a mystery guitar like that for awhile. Thanks for all who played! It would seem that the consensus is she's a highly modified '61 6119, as opposed to the proposed "rare custom ordered" Gretsch 6119 as described in the reverb.com listing. So with that in mind... what are your thoughts on what the asking price should be adjusted to?

That's not a 6119 neck. It shouldn't have binding.

I would be surprised that the factory would customize budget models in their product line. The customer would be spending more on a customized budget model than they would for a more professional line instrument. I guess its possible, but not logical. Someone probably knows more than me.

The pickups are flipped over 180 degrees. There is odd fingerboard wear at the 8th fret on the E and A strings - that's weird to me. The owner must have played a lot of songs in the key of C.

I would be surprised that the factory would customize budget models in their product line. The customer would be spending more on a customized budget model than they would for a more professional line instrument. I guess its possible, but not logical. Someone probably knows more than me.

– Falcon64

Point taken... but I can think of a few situations where I've seen custom ordered lower-end models. Examples like 4-string Tenor Rambler, Single Annie, and Electromatics. Left-handed Gretsch guitars were all custom ordered, and I've seen a couple mid-range models in that orientation. But you're right... the really exotic mods tend to be on higher-end models.

That's not a 6119 neck. It shouldn't have binding.

– Falcon64

Bound necks on single FilterTron 6119s do exist.

Another '61:

A '58:

And here are a couple of other '61 6119s showing the round neck heel unique to 1961 2 1/4" or 2" deep models:

Necks with this shape of heel have mortise and tenon joints with the screw going in the cutaway, which they didn't use on guitars with bodies deeper than 2 1/4" (at least not until the very late '60s). Anniversaries never got thinner than 2 1/2" deep in the '60s, so they kept the dovetail joint, which has a more tapered heel.

Well... THAT was fun! We haven't had a mystery guitar like that for awhile. Thanks for all who played! It would seem that the consensus is she's a highly modified '61 6119, as opposed to the proposed "rare custom ordered" Gretsch 6119 as described in the reverb.com listing. So with that in mind... what are your thoughts on what the asking price should be adjusted to?

– kc_eddie_b

For about 20 years now the going rate on a nice single pickup 6119 has hovered around $3500, give or take. Maybe $2000? Add a Bigsby and bar bridge, and it's a very functional and cool old Gretsch. But, IMO, in addition to the collector value being severely compromised, the single pickup configuration is kind of the whole point of these guitars. What makes them so cool is that they're a stripped down rock 'n' roll machine.

My very first vintage Gretsch guitar was 1958 6119, acquired many moons ago, and sold about 18 years ago. Afire is correct... since this model has always had some sentimentality for me, I've monitored the retail prices all this time, and they in fact have been in the $3200-3500 range the entire time!

To me... the '61 iteration of the model (not unlike the 6120 cousin) is the least appealing of the first generation design. So right off the bat I would want to pay a little less for one from that model year, than an earlier (and deeper bodied) example. The missing vibrato and bridge... that will cost someone $400-500 to replace with period-correct vintage parts (long tab tail bracket version of the V-style B6), so that takes a little more value away. But the added Filtertron, and funky placement are a deal-breaker for a purist such as myself. I'm sure this is a great player, but that's all it is to me (player-grade)... so I would need it to be under $2k to be tempting at all. Plus... whomever owns it, and tries to sell it later, has to explain all the funkiness. Or, like in this case on Reverb, try and conjure up a plausible "factory custom made" story to tell prospective buyers.

Keep in mind that this guitar is in France, & prices are commonly somewhat higher in the EU compared to the USA.

To Ed' last question regarding value due to the proven mods and not it being a factory custom orders, I think there's a fair loss of value from one of these that's all original. I'd put its current value closer to $2K. I'm not saying it isn't pretty and decently done but it's quite removed from its original condition given the added pup & the zero fret removal. If someone now adds extra controls and/or a Bigsby I don't think it would further detract from this guitar's value.

Irrespective on its value, IMO it's pretty as can be.

Having said all that about the price of these first generation 6119's being in the mid-$3k range... of course this one has now had it's price dropped to an attractive $2200. I have no affiliation with the sale or seller... just reporting a nice price for a cool guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/201...

Register Sign in to join the conversation