Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Odd Tenny, or refin Annie??

Without the benefit of the label and model stamp... there IS one tell-tale feature that confirms this guitar's true identity. Let the detective work commence... !

Single Anniversary

I love that shade of red with the black pickguard, great look.

no knobs on the lower bout i'm going with Tenny

Single Annie given the location of the added bridge pickup.

With the placement of the bridge pup and the G Cut tail piece and no zero fret, it’s an Annie.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

Ah yes... the lack of zero fret was the "feature" I mentioned above... but take a closer look at the close-up photo of the headstock in the listing. Does it seem like there's been some work done there (perhaps removing a zero fret)?

Tenny. It had a zero fret.

Ah yes... the lack of zero fret was the "feature" I mentioned above... but take a closer look at the close-up photo of the headstock in the listing. Does it seem like there's been some work done there (perhaps removing a zero fret)?

– kc_eddie_b

Does look like some shenanigans going on there. Slightly wider gap to the TR cover and a wide nut than stock? Could have been removed, only in hand inspection or better photo is required.

But as much as we hav seen bridge pickup placement move, that seems pretty far out of the norm.

A Tenny should have 22 frets not 21, but Gretsch was wishy washy about that spec and some 21 fret Tennys exist.

I thought so too John. A quick look at Reverb shows several 21 Fret Tenny’s. And I though rosewood vs Ebony, but that does not seem to be the case. I thought my Tenny had an ebony board.

The black Tenny pickguard clearly looks a little wonky to my eye. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence of the Annie headstock plaque either.

I've learned to remain open-minded to just about anything with vintage Gretsch guitars, so I can buy that a dual Filtertron hollowbody Tenny could have been created as a custom guitar in 1961, but the placement is an odd choice. The G-cut tailpiece is actually a "shorty" unit, more at home on Jet solidbody models, so it's presence alone doesn't scream Annie.

More definitive evidence one way or the other would include... does it have trestle bracing?... are there screw holes in the tail that would reveal the presence of a Bigsby?... a body depth measurement... and of course a serial number which I could associate to a known batch (of either Annies or Tennys).

The seller is unabashedly representing it as custom Tennessean... so that gives us license to challenge or corroborate!

Add a Bigsby and it might claim to be the prototype for the Brian Setzer Hot Rod model!

What is the significance of the bound fingerboard here?

I'd say it's more of a NIne-and-a-half-y than a Tenny

After seeing 1 and 3 pickup Clubs, I won't rule any factory weirdness out, especially from '57-'62.

After seeing 1 and 3 pickup Clubs, I won't rule any factory weirdness out, especially from '57-'62.

– lx

While I think this is still the general consensus, I still don’t believe this to be all that accurate. It’s the reason I started my research (and Ed his research) almost twenty years ago. I personally believe very few custom guitars (other than maybe color) actually came out of Gretsch. On rare occasion a pickup added, but shy of that....or color.....? Those can usually be traced to a confirmed batch and with tell tale signs of the work done. IE whether the work was factor or not.

I could be wrong but didn't all the original Tenny's have painted on F holes? I don't remember seeing any back in the day with real F holes.

Jim

I could be wrong but didn't all the original Tenny's have painted on F holes? I don't remember seeing any back in the day with real F holes.

Jim

– James Hopkins

Hi Jim... the first generation Tenny (‘58-61) had open F-holes and a single Filter’Tron pu in the bridge position.

Thanks KC. I remember seeing them but just never put it together that they were Tenny's

Jim

Tenny. The biggest tell, IMO, is the round neck heel that says 2 1/4" depth and wouldn't be seen on an Anniversary. As for the pickup spacing, not POS, but rather single pickup Tennies sometimes had he pickup fairly far from the bridge.

Can’t figure out the bound fingerboard, but I think your right Afire. I found one other on Reverb with the bridge pickup that north. I am changing my mind a say Tenny too.

I think your right afire. That heel cap jumped out at me too...along with the bridge pickup location.

I was thinking it was a refined Annie but it's not. I like it though. I've always wanted one of these Tennys.

Register Sign in to join the conversation