Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NVGD - It’s Clipper Time!

New vintage guitar day, or I should say belated because I picked this up from super Dave last year but it's been a long time putting it in shape. When I first got it I plugged it in and it sounded great (if not a little weak) but soon the sound intermittently and then permanently went out. I decided to replace the electronics. First I made a new harness with TV Jones parts and a T'Armond pup. After awhile I decided the T'Armond didn't sound right and I missed the HiLo but I had already given the original one to a friend. So I bought a TV Jones HiLo. It came with a cover that was too tall so I exchanged it for one without the back plate that they thought should fit. I suppose that they don't mod too many 1961 Clippers cause that one's cover was an eighth of an inch too tall to clear the strings. Luckily, the friend wasn't using the original one and he gave it back. I'm now using the guts of the new TV and the cover that Dave had on it in the first place and now it sounds great...Whew! I didn't mention what a great neck this has on it. I could play it all night.

I think I will.

Looks like you've got a fun night ahead of you.

Your renovation looks great Bob.

Looks great. Nothing like a good Gretsch restoration to make ya feel good. I'm starting to think about a Tennessean again.

Happy Vintage Clipper Day!

Thanks, guys. I'm all smiley. DCBirdBob, I'm often thinking of a Tennessean. My next project, though is to get my 1954 Electro up and running. It came to me with the finish removed and no pickup. It'll be awhile, I think.

New vintage guitar day, or I should say belated because I picked this up from super Dave last year but it's been a long time putting it in shape. When I first got it I plugged it in and it sounded great (if not a little weak) but soon the sound intermittently and then permanently went out. I decided to replace the electronics. First I made a new harness with TV Jones parts and a T'Armond pup. After awhile I decided the T'Armond didn't sound right and I missed the HiLo but I had already given the original one to a friend. So I bought a TV Jones HiLo. It came with a cover that was too tall so I exchanged it for one without the back plate that they thought should fit. I suppose that they don't mod too many 1961 Clippers cause that one's cover was an eighth of an inch too tall to clear the strings. Luckily, the friend wasn't using the original one and he gave it back. I'm now using the guts of the new TV and the cover that Dave had on it in the first place and now it sounds great...Whew! I didn't mention what a great neck this has on it. I could play it all night.

I think I will.

– Bob Howard

I have a '63.

The original bridge is stashed. Presently I'm running a Tonepros with nylon saddles. Good sounding jazzer, even with tens!

Nice work, Bob! You are really turning into a vintage guy!

Nice.

I've been looking for a ivory/battleship gray clipper with DeArmond

These little guys are sleepers. I bought my '59 back 'round the turn of the century as a "cheapo" (before the current Electromatics) and it's been anything but. You can play "House of the Rising Sun" all day and not get bored. Well, you know what I mean.

It is well documented that Gretsch produced the periodic lemon. But in my experience many of these guitars (especially the lower end models) play really great once maintenanced and set up by a pro.

It's not unreasonable to presume that most guitars made 50-60 years ago probably need some work to bring them to an optimal state. Investing $500-750 into a vintage guitar is easily rationalized for something you pay north of $5k for, but for these lower end sleepers, that might only be worth $1000, it usually never happens. When it does, they can usually deliver above expectations.

This one sure delivers. As far as playability goes, all I needed to do is move the bridge a smidge and give the old truss rod a twist (not euphemistically). The electronics probably could have been saved, but I'm lazy enough to just replace 55 year old wires and pots and the TV HiLo seems a bit more...how you say...robust than the original one.

I do miss her. Glad she's in your hands. Sorry to hear the electronics took a crap on you.

This was my go to couch guitar for years so I rarely plugged it. I did test it before I sold it though. I feel bad about that.

Don't feel bad, Dave. i love the way it turned out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation