Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Not really a 73 Country Club

Whilst this does have a little of the 'Danish Furniture' look that Billy Duffy ascribed to his 70s country club prior to refinishing in black, this looks more like a late 60s earlier 70s model to me. A good deal so far if all is on the up and up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

Trying to see the serial number. Looks like it has a hyphen. Maybe 72? it does have the 70s tunematic with the too thin base

heeey that bridge is a good inch or so too far back!

Didn't they all from that era have a differently shaped guard?

Toxophilite When Gretsch began making guitars in Booneville, Arkansas in 1972 some -- but not all -- of the models with oversized "f" holes actually had the "f" holes improperly positioned on the guitars' top, resulting in those guitars having their bridges positioned not where you would normally expect but actually correct in terms of intonation. I have seen pictures of a 1972 Viking (still with the Floating Sound Unit but no mute), and a 1972 White Falcon both with oversized "f" holes and the bridge likewise not positioned where you would expect. Based on what I've seen in those pictures, I think this Country Club linked on this page is another one of those peculiarities with the improperly positioned "f" holes. And I think it also likely that given the date on the back of the headstock is unclear from the pictures, it would most likely be from 1972 though it is possible it could be early 1973

Serial is 2 2125... Feb, 1972... 125th guitar made that month.

Wow, those f-holes are way north of where they should be. Usually the top horns are roughly parallel to the bridge pickup; these are in between the pickups. Interesting that it has no stinger. Noticed that the heel dowel/neck lock was in the back of the body; what was the thickness of these ones? Bet it was one of the last clubs before the full Baldwin treatment. Edit: probably the Baldwin stuff happened closer to '73.

Whilst this does have a little of the 'Danish Furniture' look that Billy Duffy ascribed to his 70s country club prior to refinishing in black, this looks more like a late 60s earlier 70s model to me. A good deal so far if all is on the up and up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

– Toxophilite

I had a '51 blonde Electro briefly and while it was nice, the figuring was more bland than blonde; it (and the chunky round neck) did remind me of the maple furniture I remember from elementary school.

Wow, those f-holes are way north of where they should be. Usually the top horns are roughly parallel to the bridge pickup; these are in between the pickups. Interesting that it has no stinger. Noticed that the heel dowel/neck lock was in the back of the body; what was the thickness of these ones? Bet it was one of the last clubs before the full Baldwin treatment. Edit: probably the Baldwin stuff happened closer to '73.

– lx

Full blown Baldwin details were in place by very early '72 as witnessed with my SC.

I've always assumed that the change in body shape was contemporaneous with the move to Arkansas. It makes intuitive sense that the change was the result of new tooling, and they didn't bring all of the old molds/jigs/whatever from Brooklyn, but largely started from scratch. Of course, maybe there were works in progress that were taken to Arkansas. It just seems odd to me that they would have brought everything from Brooklyn, made a handful of guitars the old way, and then revised everything within less than a year.

Another minor interesting point about this guitar is that it has a mortise and tenon neck joint rather than a dovetail, as evidenced by the screw and plug being on the back rather than through the heel. I think I did a little digging in another thread and narrowed it down to sometime in '68 when that change was made, IIRC.

Toxophilite When Gretsch began making guitars in Booneville, Arkansas in 1972 some -- but not all -- of the models with oversized "f" holes actually had the "f" holes improperly positioned on the guitars' top, resulting in those guitars having their bridges positioned not where you would normally expect but actually correct in terms of intonation. I have seen pictures of a 1972 Viking (still with the Floating Sound Unit but no mute), and a 1972 White Falcon both with oversized "f" holes and the bridge likewise not positioned where you would expect. Based on what I've seen in those pictures, I think this Country Club linked on this page is another one of those peculiarities with the improperly positioned "f" holes. And I think it also likely that given the date on the back of the headstock is unclear from the pictures, it would most likely be from 1972 though it is possible it could be early 1973

– ewkewk

You're right it's the F-holes that are out of whack. I was just naturally inclined to think it was the movable part(bridge) But the bridge also looks very far from the bridge pickup. Even farther than some late 60s models I've seen.

It's a little close to the bigsby too

I suspect there's a combination of whacky things going on with that Club Well that at least confirms it's a real Gretsch!

Perhaps this will be useless trivia, but I can't help myself. When I think of "Danish" furniture, I generally think of teak, which of course is darker than the "blond" finishes in the guitar world. When it comes to this blond color in the furniture world, I think the most popular purveyor was the Heywood Wakefield company, which was/is an American company.

bahaha, you're right!

I was just quoting what Billy Duffy said in an interview. it was pretty funny actually because those 70s blond clubs do have a sort of furnture vibe to them.

Just for fun, here's the Heywood Wakefield desk that I'm sitting at right now (not my photo, just an image I got off the web):

Wow, a set of the gold plated brass G knobs, a flat handle Bigsby arm and a Tru-Arc bridge and I bet it'd be pretty great

Wow, a set of the gold plated brass G knobs, a flat handle Bigsby arm and a Tru-Arc bridge and I bet it'd be pretty great

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

I think it has the perfect Bigsby arm right now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation