Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: Dutch celebrity owned 1960 Gretsch 6120! Eddy Christiani!

From what I have read he got his first gretsch at the same time as Jan Akkerman got his White Falcon It's not the 6120, but another one. From the site of Jan

From what I have read he got his first gretsch at the same time as Jan Akkerman got his White Falcon It's not the 6120, but another one. From the site of Jan

– MaBerY

I think Jan Akkerman must be confused. There are pictures of Eddy in 1961 with the 6120. The double Cut Country Gent that he had after that didn't exist then yet. The CG shows up on later albums. And the Falcon that he had was a later model too.

On this website: Eddy you can see a photo from 1961 where he is holding it. Although they do say that he started playing a 6120 in 1958 because he heard Chet Atkins play one. But you don't see pictures of him with one that early and I don't think it is true. And there is no mention of a Falcon.

The First Gretsch Eddy bought (in 1960) was the 6120 (this guitar), the first Gretsch in the Netherlands. I have his biography (from 1969) where he describes the ordering of this guitar and picking it up himself from Schiphol (Amsterdam airport). He also tells that a few years later he sold the 6120 to Toby Rix, and bought 'an even better Gretsch', the Country Gentleman. I got the guitar from the widow of Jerry Rix (the son of Toby) who confirmed this story to me in an email. Toby Rix is still alive. This guitar was his first Gretsch, there's absolutely no doubt. I think he owned it from about 1960 to 1964/1965.

The Wild Geese video was fantastic. Fun music. The double cut Gent he had in that video had the "t-zone" feature on the fretboard; IIRC those came out around '66.

Great info as usual. Probably some mixup somewhere. I was puzzled by the CC in the picture and the year.

I remember those TV performances of Toby Rix when I was young with the Toeterix

I always wondered how many Gretsches Eddy had owned and where the Falcon ended up. Getting that first one is a dutch guitarist wet dream for sure 58dutchie.

I made a mistake too: Christiani was the first to have an electric guitar in Holland and the first to record it: 1939. If he had the first Gretsch, that might seem a bit late given that Gretsch is from 1960.

I made a mistake too: Christiani was the first to have an electric guitar in Holland and the first to record it: 1939. If he had the first Gretsch, that might seem a bit late given that Gretsch is from 1960.

– Geoff_Vane

You might be wrong with that conclusion: general consensus is that this really was the first (electric) Gretsch in the Netherlands...in fact, there's no proof at all that there was someone else in the Netherlands who owned an electric Gretsch guitar before Eddy. In his biography (1969) is written that Eddy, having heard a Chet Atkins record, wrote Chet to ask which guitar he had been using. After getting an answer Eddy ordered the 6120.

What a great history you have found out about your guitar! Thanks for sharing it.

I watched the videos and both Eddy and your guitar sound great.

It's such a strange feeling to watch those old pics and videos while holding the very guitar at the same time!

It's such a strange feeling to watch those old pics and videos while holding the very guitar at the same time!

– 58dutchie

It would be a surreal feeling I'm sure.

It would be a surreal feeling I'm sure.

– BuddyHollywood

It sure is! Feels like going back in time if you know what I mean...very strange!

In the meantime I contacted Toby Rix (the second owner of the guitar and 96 years old now) and he told me that he bought the guitar from Eddy Christiani in about '62/'63. It was Eddy's first Gretsch.

58dutchie, it seems you sold this guitar again. May I ask why?

It's a shame the original post is gone.

58dutchie, it seems you sold this guitar again. May I ask why?

– sascha

That's how 58dutchie rolls, that's why. Two months might actually be a record!

Yes indeed Suprdave, it is a bit gutting that the story has disappeared from here with the rapid (and stunningly unsurprising) resale of the Eddy Christiani guitar. So, in the spirit of restoring the thread to resemble some sort of useful reference, a repost of the jaunty Lorento Rag-

That kid can play!

– ChimingBell

How much did you pay

How much did you pay

– lakemaniac

??? Don't get it what you mean ???

I was referring to the young dude in the video

Register Sign in to join the conversation