Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: Corvette ‘TV Special’ build, finally finished!

I’ve seen dozens of these Nashville guitars. This one is way and far my favorite of them all. You knocked this out of the park.

Thanks Jesper! Well, you know where to find it and bring your Special again if you visit... We need to compare them again, just to be sure.. Because I think mine is better .....

– Danman

Better? That's just outrageous! Very different for sure. The Special is not as open and ringing, but has a great low mid punch. It's the single cut versus double cut thing, I think.

I had some great fun chatting with Danman while he was doing this, and last year I had a couple of opportunities to play the guitar.

It's a fantastic sounding instrument that plays perfectly - not least because of Danman's faultless fretwork.

It says something when, with a flat full of cool vintage guitars, I kept getting drawn back to the one my buddy had only finished building a few months before.

Wow, thanks again everyone!

I’ve seen dozens of these Nashville guitars. This one is way and far my favorite of them all. You knocked this out of the park.

– Joe Desperado

Wow Joe, thanks! That's a great compliment!

Better? That's just outrageous! Very different for sure. The Special is not as open and ringing, but has a great low mid punch. It's the single cut versus double cut thing, I think.

– Sjolte

Ha ha, that's what I mean... You have to visit me with that guitar again because we need to test them together again just to be sure.....

I had some great fun chatting with Danman while he was doing this, and last year I had a couple of opportunities to play the guitar.

It's a fantastic sounding instrument that plays perfectly - not least because of Danman's faultless fretwork.

It says something when, with a flat full of cool vintage guitars, I kept getting drawn back to the one my buddy had only finished building a few months before.

– Shuggie

It was not only a lot of fun but also very helpful to be able to discuss the options and have fresh input from someone else. Thanks again!

Yes it's funny, I have all these very cool great vintage instruments but I have mostly been playing this guitar, my Mahogany Tele with P90s that I built in '93 and my 71 Tele....

That looks fantastic! Well done, sir.

Now I have a reason to fly over and visit!

Beautiful guitar Dan!

Now I have a reason to fly over and visit!

Beautiful guitar Dan!

– crowbone

Thanks! Actually you have 15 reasons to fly over and visit. 16 if you include me....

Hey Dan, that looks very classy. Sobriety of appointments contrasting with a rather assertive colour, very well done! Hope you're keeping well.

It's a totally understated classic. Tasteful with just a hint of high performance in the yellow colour. Great appointments, superb workmanship, guaranteed thrills.

Yeah man! That's the way to do it. A guitar that was begging to be built, and no one saw it but you. Perfect color, pickups, pickguard and wiring, hardware, frets, everything 100% the way it's oh-so-obvious it has to be. (At least obvious after we see it!)

Perfect job from git to go. Congrats on a real winner!

Thanks everyone!

@Joss, good to see you here again! It’s been a while.
Thanks for the great compliment. I hope you find some time to come and play it once all this mess is over…..

@Ade, you once again managed to word your thoughts in a very poetic way. Thank you sir!

@Proteus, Wow, you worded my thoughts perfectly. I can’t imagine building it any other way. I could have chosen a different color but the build just had to be this. I didn’t really have to think about it. Thank you!

Just to appreciate the design and aesthetic choices Daniel has made with this build...

I'm loving the simplicity. Very nice build.

Thanks Dave.
And thanks for the comparison Ed! Ha ha, yes I do like mine more... Less clutter and no HiLos.... ; )

Rubbing in the mahogany wood filler.

– Danman

Again, you did a great job with a stunning end result.

I loved working with mahogany. Once finished sanded a cleaned, I used to put on a wash of sealer, then rub in the filler.

This is where the fun began for me. You can mix in stain with the filler, and end up with a grain pattern of your color choice, from a very light color to black (which looks killer)

Depending on the finish color, the wood grain stands out in such a unique way.

Just love the combo on yours. Perfect everything. Such a nice job.

Love mahogany, love TV yellow, love simplicity. Great design, great job, especially the finish.

Everything you need and nothing you don’t.

Somehow the color and the treatment bring out a certain elegance and charm in the Corvette body design, which is not there in red, with the big black pickguard...and a big honkin' Bigsby.

Which is usually de rigueur on a Gretsch, but with P90s and a wraparound can well be done without.

And you've made up for that loss of Gretschitude with the neoclassic thumbnails, which highlight the elegant minimalism that (it must be admitted) is rarely a Gretsch attribute.

Thanks Jazzhands!

@JD: you’re right, it was fun to do. I had never done it like this before. I think next time I might use darker mahogany stain to get it closer to the way it looks in the original TV yellow. My pores have more red in them than the originals. But then I also like it very much the way it is. And experimenting can definitely be a lot of fun so you never know!

@ Proteus: I do think you’re right about the color. My first plan was to stain it red and spray clear over it like the original Corvettes and also SGs. I did several trials in photoshop. This stood out so much nicer that I just had to do it this way.
And I do like Bigsbies, although I hardly use them. But I like the way a guitar rings and sounds with a Bigsby tailpiece. But I don’t like the ones with a pressure bar. So it was very easy for me not to use one….
And thumbnails…. They are the most beautiful and stylish fretboard markers there are so that was easy too. And yes, it did need some more Gretschitude than only the body….

Register Sign in to join the conversation