Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: Corvette ‘TV Special’ build, finally finished!

Thanks for the compliments guys! I am really happy how it came out and was surprised at how good it really is. It feels like a played in guitar and just resonates like crazy! Several people want to buy it from me but it's not going anywhere.....

Yeah! Very cool to play - hope to play it again later this year and I think that you did the frets on that thing pretty darn near perfect.

It is almost as cool as my '56 LP Special

Very nice! I especially like what you did with the volume, tone and switch. The switch location on a standard Corvette has been my main gripe about this great model. You have a good alternative.

Great job!

Ya just have to respect anyone who has the talent and patience to make a beautiful work of art! And that guitar IS a beauty! Thank you for the indepth pictures.

Dang, that's how I'd do if -- if I had any talent in that area. I can set em up, do some wiring but that's about it. What spec are those big honkin frets?

That's a very cool project, beautiful pictures but the guitar looks even better in real life! Cool painting techniques and good idea to hang the guitar from the trusrod when painting, I might steal those ideas some day! Love it!

Fantastic Daniel! Grestch should offer an FSR Vette with your specs!

A few years back when everyone was buying these Vette and AstroJet bodies from the “Nashville Hoard” Baxter was going to have a space somewhere on this site to share everyone’s finished projects. I think I even wrote a little preface for it. I guess so few were actually completed that the idea never took off.

Excellent! I've been thinking about doing something like this for quite a while. I can't decide between doing one like this or a trad Gretsch orange.

Thanks everyone! She's a keeper!

Dang, that's how I'd do if -- if I had any talent in that area. I can set em up, do some wiring but that's about it. What spec are those big honkin frets?

– DCBirdMan

Hi DC,
The frets are the same size as Dunlop 6100 frets: 0.11" wide and 0.057" high. Normal jumbos.
I like the Jescar frets more than Dunlop. The material seems a bit harder and more consistent. And they're nicer to work with.

Fantastic Daniel! Grestch should offer an FSR Vette with your specs!

A few years back when everyone was buying these Vette and AstroJet bodies from the “Nashville Hoard” Baxter was going to have a space somewhere on this site to share everyone’s finished projects. I think I even wrote a little preface for it. I guess so few were actually completed that the idea never took off.

– kc_eddie_b

Now you're talking! That would be a cool Gretsch to offer... I might even buy one... ; )

I remember the idea of creating a space for these builds. Would be cool because they are Gretsches, in one way or another....

Very nice! I especially like what you did with the volume, tone and switch. The switch location on a standard Corvette has been my main gripe about this great model. You have a good alternative.

– Baba Joe

Hi Baba, Thanks! I agree. I would always be knocking that switch. I have the same trouble with the volume knob on Strats, I always hit it and it turns off...

Excellent build!

Yeah! Very cool to play - hope to play it again later this year and I think that you did the frets on that thing pretty darn near perfect.

It is almost as cool as my '56 LP Special

– Sjolte

Thanks Jesper! Well, you know where to find it and bring your Special again if you visit... We need to compare them again, just to be sure.. Because I think mine is better .....

That looks fantastic, especially the finish. Congratulations!

Beauty!! I would, however, seal the mahogany on the back of the neck! When Clapton's "Fool" SG had a few years of playing on it, the wood started to rot from the sweat and oils. The original neck had to be replaced in the 80's. This is the guitar that Todd Rundgren ended up with via Jackie Lomax.

Thanks again for the compliments. It's always nice if your work is appreciated! And it was a lot of fun to do!

Beauty!! I would, however, seal the mahogany on the back of the neck! When Clapton's "Fool" SG had a few years of playing on it, the wood started to rot from the sweat and oils. The original neck had to be replaced in the 80's. This is the guitar that Todd Rundgren ended up with via Jackie Lomax.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Thanks! I sealed the back of the neck with oil and I will probably redo it every few years. That should be enough I think....
I built a mahogany Tele with P90s in 1993. I waxed the body then and sealed it and it's still perfectly fine.
Perhaps it helps that my hands are very dry and they don't sweat when I play. My strings also last forever.

Really, really nice work, Danman! Slab guitars aren't exactly my thang, but yours looks minimalistically (is that a word?) superb!

I like the simplicity and the yellow color. I also hate that strat and Tele switch position too. I have a cheap Tele on which I rotated the plate 180 to get the volume knob near the bridge to do the pinky swells and have the switch out of reach from accidental hits

Register Sign in to join the conversation