Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: ‘69 Gent in Rally Green… and Left-Handed

This guitar is a unicorn folks! I'm not sure which stupid rare aspect is more stupid rare... a factory green Gent, or a left-handed one?! Throw in the lefty case and it's a one-of-a-kind for the ages!

Paul... someday there will be a 60's manual in the works. This guitar demands a spot in the gallery section for sure. I'll be in touch!

Very cool, Paul! Congratulations!

Congratulations on the deal. I remember the original thread for this guitar a while back. It always pays out to be persistent.

But where are the close-up pictures that we all want to see?

Let me see about shooting some more. They'll be the "before" (the restoration) photos.

Warning: I'm a terrible photographer.

Paul/FF909

Paul, I have just stumbled over the link for the old thread while cleaning up my browser favorites.

Link

Well, the photos that Curt posted last year accurately and clearly depict the guitar, and are better photos than I could take. It has not changed, other than that I scraped off the loose-crumble parts of the binding with my thumbnail (some tight-to-the-channel binding remains).

I need to get the guitar up to Curt's shop!

Paul/FF909

Congrats! I never even thought there were left hand cases. Groovy.

It took a while, but the Green Gent emerged from Curt's shop recently, and holy grap, this guitar is darned near a religious experience to look at, touch, and hear.

Paul/FF909

Gorgeous!

Edit: More pix puh-leeze and the lefty case too.

That's just magnificent, Paul!! It's doubly special in that first it's left-handed and second it's that wonderful shade of green. Spectacular work by Curt!

Do you have a few 'before' pics to share.

From the pictures, that looks like a Cadillac Green lacquer paint finish rather than a Rally Green stain finish. If you can see the wood grain thru the color it's Rally Green; If you can't, it's a lacquer paint finish. Beautiful guitar. Stunning in fact!

From the pictures, that looks like a Cadillac Green lacquer paint finish rather than a Rally Green stain finish. If you can see the wood grain thru the color it's Rally Green; If you can't, it's a lacquer paint finish. Beautiful guitar. Stunning in fact!

– ewkewk

What's this now?

This is neither Cadillac or Rally Green. The only stain I've ever seen on Gretsch Guitars is 6120 orange, and the three tone stain on gents, the rest is opaque paint with lots-o-lead.

Great story, Paul, and wonderful work as always, Curt.

Curt Wilson: Educate us who are not painters and/or furniture finishers. Gretsch's catalogs describe guitars as either with a stain finish ("Mahogany Grain stain finish" on 50's and 60's Gents for example) or as lacquer (presumably lacquer based as opposed to oil-based or latex-based paint) The catalogs are replete with what are described as "stain finishes" such as "Autumn Red", "Amber Red", "Western Red Maple", "Sunburst", "Walnut", "Ebony", "Bordeaux Burgundy", "Dark Cherry", "Dark Walnut" and several others

Turned out pretty classy,Paul!

Thanks for the pics Curt. That gal sure was in sad shape prior to your restoration. It's a miraculous transformation you performed to bring it back to brand-new condition! I really like it's current finish color. It may look new, but I'll bet it's just full of mojo!

What's this now?

This is neither Cadillac or Rally Green. The only stain I've ever seen on Gretsch Guitars is 6120 orange, and the three tone stain on gents, the rest is opaque paint with lots-o-lead.

– Curt Wilson

I've seen a horrid green stain on some Rallys (it looks like smeared-on motor oil; PRS guys love that kind of stuff nowadays), as well as an opaque green, which would be the Rally Green that Curt says this isn't, which is true. Rally Green's tone takes a couple of steps toward what we usually call Army Green. I called it Rally Green in my topic title because I thought that was what it was when I first acquired it and posted two years ago. (I may have photos of Rallys with both colors at home. If so, I'll post.)

And this Gent isn't Cadillac Green, either. I know that because I have a Country Club on a stand next to the Gent. They aren't the same color.

It is most likely an "off-catalog" color that's a sliver of heaven. So I'm going to call it Heaven Sliver Green.

Curt's eye for color matching is quite a gift.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation