Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD 6120

Got my first 6120 today. 354xx. Tuners changed, original in case.

She's gorgeous! Congrats!

Sweet axe! Play'er in good health!

Welcome to the vintage 6120 club Steve! Nice rig you have there, 1960 model year, with a hint of subtle flame on the top. Play the snot out of it!

She's gorgeous! Congrats!

– Suprdave

Thanks!

Sweet axe! Play'er in good health!

– AndyJ

Thanks! Plays and sounds awesome.

That's my birth year, so it naturally has to be a great guitar Congratulations on your vintage axe, I bet it sounds awesome!

Wow. Another 1960 beauty! Enjoy it, man!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
You landed a beauty -- enjoy!!

Welcome to the vintage 6120 club Steve! Nice rig you have there, 1960 model year, with a hint of subtle flame on the top. Play the snot out of it!

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks, yes this one will be played less overdrive feedback than expected.

Congrats Steve!

Ya can't beat a 6120,and that's a beauty sir!

Back, with 2 stipe and a black heel ( common for the batch? )

Well now you're just teasing us.

Very nice! Do you have a better shot of the back? Yummy.

That is gorgeous! Congrats!

Back, with 2 stipe and a black heel ( common for the batch? )

– Steve111

The 5-piece necks happened a lot on 1959 Gretsch hollowbody models, from Clippers to Clubs. Dunno about the black heel tho'.

The heel cover is typically white, but we’ve seen black occurrences every so often. No batch patterns on that though. These were dual-ply, with one side being white and the other being black. I wouldn’t be surprised if they periodically just applied these wrong-side-up.

The 5-piece necks happened a lot on 1959 Gretsch hollowbody models, from Clippers to Clubs. Dunno about the black heel tho'.

– lx

This one was promoted as a ’59.

The heel cover is typically white, but we’ve seen black occurrences every so often. No batch patterns on that though. These were dual-ply, with one side being white and the other being black. I wouldn’t be surprised if they periodically just applied these wrong-side-up.

– kc_eddie_b

It’s dual, makes sense. Thanks Ed.

This one was promoted as a ’59.

– Steve111

Not unusual... between a lack of understanding of the Gretsch serial number chronology and the fact that dealers know that 1959 model year Gretsch guitars have been elevated in desirability by Gretsch enthusiasts, many non-'59 examples are promoted as '59 examples. The 6120 features that are identified with the 1960 model year are the combination of the V-style Bigsby and the 2.5" deep body.

Steve....Awesome guitar!!! Another vintage 6120 guy! Your gonna LOVE it!!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation