Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD - ‘59 6124

320XX and 328XX left to right, both have light trestle and ebony boards, both are great, flats on the left one, rounds on the right.

320XX and 328XX left to right, both have light trestle and ebony boards, both are great, flats on the left one, rounds on the right.

– JazzBoxJunky

Interesting. So I guess they did mix up the fingerboard material in 59 as mine is 32329.

+1 as mine is 332xx and has a light brown rosewood board.

Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason on which board was used, as mine is a double pick up model, i.e., more "deluxe" than a single and that clearly didn't matter.

There are a lot of different color/ density ebony woods. The trick to spotting rosewood boards, is they have pronounced pours, while ebony is smooth for the most part.

Mine looks like rosewood grain to me. Would love it if it were ebony instead.

Agreed, looks like the typical rosewood pores too me.

I've owned a couple of 59 Px 6124's. I love them! I sold my last one about a year ago. I just have my two Country Clubs now.. But both had Ebony boards. I dumped the "Space Control" bridge on both. My first one I got in 1970 and had traded a65 Gibson Melody Maker and $20.00 for it.

Nice looking Annies! What are the neck profiles like on the 59 Annies? Soft V , C etc.? I have a 1959 6125 coming soon and Im curious.

Mine vary, one is a full soft C shape, and the other is a bit thinner with a slight V shape, both easy to get along with.

Mine definitely isn't Rosewood. Perhaps it's some kind of cheap Ebony? Does that exist?
It's softer and less black than normal Ebony. And it doesn't have the grain of Rosewood. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Yes, Ebony isn’t always black or hard, in fact I had one Ebony fingerboard that had huge white spots on it.

Here's the fretboard of my 59 Annie:

Register Sign in to join the conversation