Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD - ‘59 6124

Today I took ownership of a '59 6124 that I've been trying to get my mitts on for over two years. The guitar would pop up on craigslist, I'd contact the owner, and then he'd decide he just couldn't part with the guitar. Well, about a month ago the guitar popped up on craigslist again, and this time the owner came through.

So, what a guitar! It's in good cosmetic shape, has the original PAF Filtertron and electronics, and trestle bracing. Neck has been reset and the original fretboard replaced with ebony using the original thumbnail inlays and medium jumbo frets. I've got a baggie full of pieces of the original fretboard and given the deep divots must have been played a lot! I also have the original G tailpiece. It had a Space Control bridge on it but I swapped in the Bigsby bridge to get the action lower.

Initially I'd figured I'd convert it to a double Annie, but it sounds so good and lively as is I'll leave it be.

Got to love the mis-aligned logo and odd flared point on the bass side of the headstock!

Something I'd never come across before - there's a photo of a young girl glued inside the heel of the guitar body. She appears to be holding a Hello Kitty doll so it must be post 1976. I suppose it's a pretty smart way of making sure the guitar has a unique identifying feature!

Oddly, the guitar came with two cases - a TKL case that fits the guitar, and a Gretsch case that appears to be for a 6122 - 17" bout and 3" depth. Anyone looking for a vintage 6122 case? I've got one I don't need...

Nice! I like the idea of leaving it a single.

That is awesome! I love those stripped down hollowbodies

Whats the toggle do with only one pickup? Is it basically a mud switch and master volume?

Yes, controls are master volume and mud switch. It might be the Bigsby bridge, but the guitar has plenty of brightness and, dare I say, even some twang. That's why I think it might be AOk with just the neck pickup.

Here are the remnants of the factory fret board. The back of the neck is in good shape, so whoever did it had either a really tight grip and/or distinctly non-sweaty hands.

This is great! I agree that adding the Bigsby bridge with only the neck pickup would provide a good, balanced tone. Congratulations!

Mel cool guitar! I had a '67 a few years back but it rotted away.

Nice one -- sorta like the one I got around 2000, which was my 1st Gretsch. That's all it took to kick Telecasters to the curb 4-ever. Sunburst or 2 tone green -- just an Annie choice anyone would like to have.

Got to love the mis-aligned logo and odd flared point on the bass side of the headstock!

– Mel Waldorf

That's funny. It made me think of this purported photograph of Doc Holliday.

Very nice. I have a green single Annie from 59 too. A great guitar.
The fingerboard material from that year was really flimsy and very soft. Mine had very deep divots as well when I got it. I had to plane the finger board so they are less deep now but they were crazy around the cow boy chords when I got it....

Haha, that headstock is classic!

Danman, Interesting note about the soft fingerboard. I wonder if it was a full year thing or just a mediocre batch of rosewood boards. What's your guitar's serial? Mine is 336XX.

AFire, I may have to add that picture of Doc Holliday inside the guitar next to the photo of the girl!

I had a single pickup Annie back in the day..... Posted this photo before, but this was me when that Annie was BRAND NEW!

senojnad - sharp glasses, gorgeous guitar! What color combo is that - ivory and grey?

Nice! I got one a them too! 1958! I really wanna add a bigsby, i just haven't gotten around to it yet!

the old anniversaries sound amazing with flat wounds.

senojnad - sharp glasses, gorgeous guitar! What color combo is that - ivory and grey?

– Mel Waldorf

Glasses, etc. -- Nothing but CLASS, right???

The Anni was standard two-tone green. The photo was taken around 1959 so the years have faded the colors of the guitar. The years have made a mess out of the appearance of the player.....

Danman, Interesting note about the soft fingerboard. I wonder if it was a full year thing or just a mediocre batch of rosewood boards. What's your guitar's serial? Mine is 336XX.

AFire, I may have to add that picture of Doc Holliday inside the guitar next to the photo of the girl!

– Mel Waldorf

Hi Mel,
My 59 is sn: 32329. I don't know exactly when things changed but in 58 they had ebony boards and then at a certain moment in 59 they switched to these. I don't even think it's really rosewood. Or perhaps really crappy rosewood. I don't know how long they had these. My 64 Annie has a nicer Rosewood board.
But crappy wood or not, these sound great!

I had a single pickup Annie back in the day..... Posted this photo before, but this was me when that Annie was BRAND NEW!

– senojnad

You look a little "brand new" yourself Dan! At least awful squeaky clean.

You look a little "brand new" yourself Dan! At least awful squeaky clean.

– Windsordave

I KNEW I always liked you, Windsordave!

– senojnad

I never get tired of seeing this picture. Dan, I'm thinking that this is a '58 model; it has 22 frets just like Buddy Mercury's. IIRC the Annies got 21 frets in '59 and they stayed that way. I've got a '58 Bamboo Streamliner - essentially the same guitar - that I just love.

Register Sign in to join the conversation