Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 1965 6120

My first vintage Gretsch with Filtertrons. Received it yesterday, first thing I did was tune it and check the neck. Once that seemed ok I removed that tune-o-matic and put the original bar bridge back on.

Sounds great!

Congratulations! I really like these double cut mid 60s 6120s.

I had a 2012ish 6120DC a few years ago that I had to let go. This came up for not much more than what the discontinued reissues go for these days.

They are cool guitars. Doyle Dykes really makes his '64 sing, I don't have those skills but after watching him and Arthur Ebeling I had to have another one in my life.

Oh, yeah, that's NICE!

Congrats captain!

I gigged my 66 for several years as my number 1,i rarely play it nowadays though.

Keep an eye on the binding,mine was fine for over 20 years then i put it away when i was getting some home improvements done ,when i took it out again after about a year ,there it was,the dreaded rot starting .

Van Ghents and black felt disc under mute lever... if the serial number is much over #725xx it might fall into the 1966 model year range. That serial number range often yields pot codes dated Nov. of '65.

Congratulations! My first Gretsch (which I was playing last night) is a ‘62. The neck width at the nut on mine is narrow - 1 5/8”. Probably (I’m guessing) not typical.

Congratulations! My first Gretsch (which I was playing last night) is a ‘62. The neck width at the nut on mine is narrow - 1 5/8”. Probably (I’m guessing) not typical.

– nielDa

My '64 Gent had a very narrow neck at the nut too Niel. I mentioned it here a few years ago and at least a couple others mentioned having the same narrower neck on a mid-60's Gent or 6120 so they did make a few. I put on a new nut spacing the slots out further but I eventually sold it and that was the reason. Otherwise is was an 8/10 for condition and no issues at all with binding rot.

Van Ghents and black felt disc under mute lever... if the serial number is much over #725xx it might fall into the 1966 model year range. That serial number range often yields pot codes dated Nov. of '65.

– kc_eddie_b

Good to know. thanks! maybe it’s ‘66. 727xxx

Link

Here’s a short recording off my phone. The nut width is 1.68.

Cool guitar. Can't get to the recording:

That's pretty!

My first Gretsch infatuation was a Nashville on the wall in a pawn shop for the unreachable price of $900. It had a big white rose on the bass bout, Beautiful. Almost bought a fixer upper a while back.

Cool guitar. Can't get to the recording:

– Caliban335

Dang Facebook! I put it on Youtube. It's not very long.

Link

Great guitar, congratulations! It looks fantastic!

Congratulations! It sounds as good as it looks.

I have a pair of '60s 6120s, and I love them both. One is a '64 basket-case-turned-debutante (barely recognizable as a 6120, now), the other a '68 that I bought relatively cheaply because of binding rot (I had the binding replaced first thing). They sound and feel superb.

Paul/FF909

Great! ,,, and Great Video :)

Nice chatting with you on Facebook too ,, :)

The Scary "Orange" Guys! (2013)

I hope you had a, "Happy, Fun Filled, "Halloween!" ,,

This one is my 1967 DC 6120 ,,

Register Sign in to join the conversation