Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD 1965 6119 Tennessean

Congrats, that's a keeper!

Man don't forget to get those Hi Lo poles right about as close to strings as you can... my experience was in that last tiny fraction of an inch, they really came alive.

Congratulations! My personal initiation into all things Gretsch started with a 1966/67 Tennessean that I bought new in '67. Beautiful guitar. I paired it with a Deluxe Reverb and the tone could not be beat. Volume was another issue but the tone was fantastic. I miss it!

Enjoy yours!!!

Man don't forget to get those Hi Lo poles right about as close to strings as you can... my experience was in that last tiny fraction of an inch, they really came alive.

– DCBirdMan

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the pole pieces and adjust.

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I don't see this model used in Rockabilly very often and I wonder why. Maybe too associated with The Beatles.

One of my fave Rockabilly bands used one, That is The Polecats (yes, hence the screen name). Bozz used one effectively. I should contact him about this. He responds to my questions about guitars. Pleasant guy.

Thanks for posting The Polecats. That was great and this version of Jeepster was incredible. Cheers.

Killer guitar! Thanks for the video too. I love the song and his tone is definitely chase-able.

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I don't see this model used in Rockabilly very often and I wonder why. Maybe too associated with The Beatles.

One of my fave Rockabilly bands used one, That is The Polecats (yes, hence the screen name). Bozz used one effectively. I should contact him about this. He responds to my questions about guitars. Pleasant guy.

– ThePolecats

My first full time band experience was as lead guitarist in a rockabilly band, touring and recording all using my tennessean, then I went on to start my own Jazz latin Cabaret pop band. You can play anything on a Tennessean. I tend to play my rockabilly clean clean clean. Here's my Tennessean doing it's thing. This is a more recent recording comparatively(last few years) https://thecolorifics.bandc...

Toxo thanks for posting. You got a nice tone out the 6119 and nice song.

HiLos sound really good.

Thanks for posting The Polecats. That was great and this version of Jeepster was incredible. Cheers.

– lx

Glad you like it. That’s a great version very true.

Killer guitar! Thanks for the video too. I love the song and his tone is definitely chase-able.

– BuddyHollywood

Glad you like it. That Hilo sound is something else.

I always liked this cover of the Neil Diamond song. Not a 6119 but a Catseye 6117. If the guitar in the video is what is on the song then great example of the HiloTron sound. To me it probably is the same guitar on the song as the video.

Register Sign in to join the conversation