Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD 1965 6119 Tennessean

I had a discussion about two 6119s being sold at Guitar Center vintage room in Hollywood already but I thought I would just make a new discussion as a NGD. I don’t expect many replies here because we pretty much discussed it already.

I had it on layaway and picked it up yesterday. I want to thank all of you who pointed me in the right direction and choosing this one over the other one. By the way, the other one sold since I was last there about a month ago. Okay which one of you bought it?

The case is original. It is missing the Gretsch logo, I think it’s the badge as it’s called.

Sorry about the glare from the light.

Oh, wow! Cool Tenny! Play'er in good health!

Oh, wow! Cool Tenny! Play'er in good health!

– AndyJ

Thanks! I like the feel and tone.

Even though the binding has yellowed I suspect it has been rebinded/rebond because it is perfect, no cracks for such an old guitar.

It looks much better in person than in the pics.

I think the reissues are great and when they were being blownout by Musicians Friend I missed. They went for $800. I would have been happy with the reissues because I tried them and they are great. A few GDP members have purchased the MF blownout ones. Tim Proteus bought one if I recall. But these vintage ones are really nice so I am happy.

Two things need to be fixed on my 6119. The strap button at the end of the guitar is missing but those can be had for cheap off Reverb or elsewhere and the bridge is some Tune-O-Matic type but it is not necessary to change soon. Eventually I will.

They don't all rot. My 65 has perfect binding and has had for the last 30 years..knock wood. Enjoy tennesseans are great and beautiful guitars.

That's the budget case; they didn't come with badges. Make sure you get a vintage strap button as they are Standard American thread, not metric like the moderns. I'd get a brass Serpentune. Nice catch!

Wonderful guitar. I have those Hi-Los in my '67 Rally and they sound awesome. One of these days I'd like to buy myself a faux-f holes guitar too... Congrats!

Congrats! I have a '64, also with perfect original bindings.

That's the budget case; they didn't come with badges. Make sure you get a vintage strap button as they are Standard American thread, not metric like the moderns. I'd get a brass Serpentune. Nice catch!

– lx

I was about to Weasel Off a case badge from my Gadabout for the noble cause, but it wasn't on lower end cases-- Tenny may have been lo-end in the Chet line, but still it's my favorite Gretsch hollowbody!! This one one looks cool. I loved my '66.

I don't think the deluxe cases had badges either in '65.

– lx

Thanks for the info on the vintage button. I had no idea of this and would have purchased the wrong ones since they are inexpensive. I will search for a vintage one but not in a hurry yet.

Congratulations, I’m envious. Someday, I hope I can find one as nice.

I checked the serial number and it actually is George Harrison's 6119. I checked against public records and it's his. It's been faded over the years. But somehow I ended up with is. This has to be worth at least $5,000 now.

Just kidding it's not his. LOL plus mine is a 1965. Guitar Center was saying it's a 1964 but the serial # indicates it's a 1965.

One day that Harrison Tenny might show up, just like the Lennon J 160E about 4 or 5 years ago.

One day that Harrison Tenny might show up, just like the Lennon J 160E about 4 or 5 years ago.

– DCBirdMan

Deke Dickerson happened to come across Cliff Gallup's Duo Jet and bought it. He ran the serial number and figured it out that it was Gallup's but the seller had no idea. You may have seen Deke's posting about this awhile back.

Ooops did more research and since then he decided it isn't Gallup's guitar.

Congrats. It is in amazingly good condition. Enjoy it.

Awesome guitar! I use a '64. I like them with no headstock plaque (like George's) but with VanGhents for the tuning stability. You have a great setup!

Cool geet sir,congrats!

Congrats, that's a keeper!

Register Sign in to join the conversation