Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 1959 Single Annie

I think the stable door is likely still open.

I know that when I play live with a guitar with bigsby I want another one there with an almost identical sound so I can pick it up mid song if need be (if on the off chance I break a string)

– Toxophilite

Exactly.

The bridge on my 6120 fell off mid-way through a set at a show we played last year and fortunately for me it was one of the few times that I actually had another guitar (DuoJet) on stage ready to grab if needed.

I know that the sound of a guitar is way more important than it's looks. But if you can have both....killer Dyna tone with killer two-tone smoke green looks....to quote that P90 fella "Yeah man! That's heaven to me".

Well, ya can’t argue with that logic.

Just to add though, the heavy trestles will make the Annie sound different. Having said that Duane’s new sig model has trestles and they sound pretty darn’ fine, so I’m sure you’ll have no dramas.

I like it....but I’m not sure yet how much I like it, or don’t like it as the case may be. I love the looks...the killer two tone smoke green. And I love how it plays...great neck. My main concern is the FilterTron sounds dull to my ear.

I’m used to the single pup from my 55 Streamliner which is my main gigging guitar. I love the bright spanky sound I get from the single Dynasonic. And the distinctive Gretsch twang.

The FilterTron on the Annie sounds good...but dull and a bit muffled. I have to roll off the bass on my amp completely and crank to maximum treble just to get close to a nice bright tone.

I haven’t been able to open it up completely with the band yet but we’re rehearsing tomorrow night so I’ll see how it sounds then.

Definitely a keeper...just not sure yet that I’ll ever gig with this one and that disappoints me.

– Wheelgrinder

You might need to shim the whole pickup assembly up closer to the strings. If it's too far away (usually the case with them) the pickup will sound dull. All the `59 Anni.'s I've own were pretty dark until I raised the pickup closer to the strings. Go to a hobby shop and buy some little wood shims about 1/4" x 1/16" or even one that's an 1/8" thick. Push down the string at the top(last) fret and see how much area is between the bottom of the string and the top of the pickup. I'm betting it's close to a 1/4". Raise the whole pickup so that it's about 5/64" from the top of the poles to the bottom of the string. Start with the pole pieces flush to the top of the cover as well.

Or use sponge. Don's absolutely right of course, getting the pup closer to the strings will liven things up a great deal - F'Trons are notorious for needing to be just right, but knowing you as I know you (and your taste) I think you're doing the right thing going single coil. That 'Tron will never sound like a Dyna, no matter how deep you are in the sweet spot.

Exactly.

The bridge on my 6120 fell off mid-way through a set at a show we played last year and fortunately for me it was one of the few times that I actually had another guitar (DuoJet) on stage ready to grab if needed.

I know that the sound of a guitar is way more important than it's looks. But if you can have both....killer Dyna tone with killer two-tone smoke green looks....to quote that P90 fella "Yeah man! That's heaven to me".

– Wheelgrinder

Crazy! I've never had a bridge fall off and I used to play in a rockabilly band that regularly jumped off the stage, up onto the upright bass and onto peoples tables spilling their drinks...for some reason they loved it.

My experience has been that if you break a string on a guitar with a bigsby ,your guitar almost always goes completely out of tune, there is no faking it after that, another guitar is needed.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do to adjust a filtertron(or any pickup) One of the easiest with a filtertron of course is just adjusting one set of poles up, or removing a set altogether, both will brighten the pickup up considerably, but nothing will make it sound like a completely different pickup. Easily tried though and it won't hurt the filtertron.

A bit late to the party... Congrats, Annies might just be the most awesome looking guitars out there!

Register Sign in to join the conversation