Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 1959 Single Annie

Update to my 1959 Single Annie. Just got her back from my guitar tech. New caps for the Mudswitch and repaired volume knob. The 'original' volume pot wasn't original at all and the volume knob had at some time been loctited onto the shaft so that it's impossible to remove. No worries though, I picked up an original 1959 volume knob from Blackrider Guitars and Chris, my tech, installed a new TV Jones pot so we're good to go. Looking pretty in the vintage Gretsch case I bought from GreTschocaster.

Original 1959 Waverly tuners installed. Bought from Hepkat67. Thanks! I'll be adding the Klusons that were on the guitar to the JB's Annual Free Stuff thread.

...and finally a full figure shot with case, fellow Gretsch cousins and their good friend Mr. 1955 Magnatone Maestro.

Well, how do you like it? My unfortunate experience with single neck pickup Gretsches is that they are way more articulate and bright than I expect them to be, thereby making the addition of a bridge pickup seem unneccessary. It makes for a conundrum.

Well, how do you like it? My unfortunate experience with single neck pickup Gretsches is that they are way more articulate and bright than I expect them to be, thereby making the addition of a bridge pickup seem unneccessary. It makes for a conundrum.

– Afire

I like it....but I’m not sure yet how much I like it, or don’t like it as the case may be. I love the looks...the killer two tone smoke green. And I love how it plays...great neck. My main concern is the FilterTron sounds dull to my ear.

I’m used to the single pup from my 55 Streamliner which is my main gigging guitar. I love the bright spanky sound I get from the single Dynasonic. And the distinctive Gretsch twang.

The FilterTron on the Annie sounds good...but dull and a bit muffled. I have to roll off the bass on my amp completely and crank to maximum treble just to get close to a nice bright tone.

I haven’t been able to open it up completely with the band yet but we’re rehearsing tomorrow night so I’ll see how it sounds then.

Definitely a keeper...just not sure yet that I’ll ever gig with this one and that disappoints me.

Stick a Dearmond in it and play the ^%$^% out of it. There's nothing sadder than a vintage correct display guitar not being used because it has to be kept 'stock'

I agree that compared to single coil brighter pickups, filtertrons, despite being a bright humbucker, still sound a little dull.

The thing about puttinga Dearmond in it is that you don't need to seriously alter it. Only 4 small screw holes under where the existing pickup bezel sits. So you could always swap it back no problem.

I might have a Dearmond for sale soon

Nice Anni! Glad to see the Waverlys in action :)

I had the same issue with filters. I just don’t bond with them. I did what Toxophilite suggested and was much happier

Well....I played the Annie tonight for a few songs during band rehearsal and I’ve come to a conclusion which I’m pretty sure was already staring me in the face. Or the ears.

I’m not partial to FilterTrons.

I love this guitar but I’m gonna swap out the pup for a DeArmond.

One thing my fd told me after I changed was muck around with pickup height . Filters need to sit just right... was too late fo me... I’d gone dyna

You can tweak them but they're essentially different beasts Dynasonics have a distinct crispness to every string. It doesn't come across in the same way particularly on the wound strings with the filtertrons. If you like dynasonics, throw one in and play it! We won't tell.

Well....I played the Annie tonight for a few songs during band rehearsal and I’ve come to a conclusion which I’m pretty sure was already staring me in the face. Or the ears.

I’m not partial to FilterTrons.

I love this guitar but I’m gonna swap out the pup for a DeArmond.

– Wheelgrinder

Our own Buddy Mercury was seriously looking for a vintage Filtertron recently!

Wheelgrinder, I think you're a serious candidate for an original recipe Tennessean. It's the Filtertron Gretsch for folks who don't like Filtertrons.

Whether it's the direct wiring loom, the (relatively) uncut top, the absence of magnet pull from the missing neck pickup or a combination of all the above, they're just the most wonderful rock 'n' roll guitars. The Esquire of hollowbodies.

I like Ade’s advice and think that two single pickup guitars would be great - one with a Dyna neck and the other with a Filter bridge. You’re halfway there with the Streamliner. Sell the Annie and buy a ‘59 Tenny. Best of both worlds!

I adore the sound of my 59 annie. Single pickup. (Neck). I seldom play in a band situation though.

I adore the sound of my 59 annie. Single pickup. (Neck). I seldom play in a band situation though.

– munman

I hear ya Dave...and you're right, the FilterTron on these 59 Annies does sound awesome. Beautiful, warm tone. My unfortuante dilemma is, and I hope this doesn't sound too pretentious, the signature guitar sound of my Rockabilly trio is a punchy single coil Dynasonic twang and the Annie in it's current configuration just isn't giving me (us) that.

I think you are very lucky to have one. Mine was my dads, it sounds better to me than you. I'm not crying, it's dusty in here.

Ade and Baba Joe...I like the idea of a '59 Tennessean but I don't want to part with the Annie.

I only just sold, albeit with a heavy heart, three of my beloved 50s guitars in the interest of not becoming a hoarder (not that there's anything wrong in hoarding vintage guitars) and only holding onto guitars that I actually play on stage or in the studio.

I think the Annie can still fit that role.

My thought this morning is to drop in a TV Jones T-Series so that I have the Dynasonic sound I'm looking for but can keep the FilterTron mount. That way I don't need to add extra screw holes as I would for a straight up Gretsch Dynasonic or vintage DeArmond.

Our own Buddy Mercury was seriously looking for a vintage Filtertron recently!

– sascha

I'm gonna keep the original FilterTron. I have all of the original factory spec features now (G Cutout tailpiece, Space Control Bridge, Waverly Tuners) so that if and when I ever decide to sell the Annie I can put it all back to 100% original if the buyer wants it that way.

Or...if I decide I'm not gonna gig with it I may just put it back to all original just for my own pleasure of noodling around on a beautiful old Gretsch the way it was originally intended.

You can tweak them but they're essentially different beasts Dynasonics have a distinct crispness to every string. It doesn't come across in the same way particularly on the wound strings with the filtertrons. If you like dynasonics, throw one in and play it! We won't tell.

– Toxophilite

I'm taking your advice Bernie

I'm gonna keep the original FilterTron. I have all of the original factory spec features now (G Cutout tailpiece, Space Control Bridge, Waverly Tuners) so that if and when I ever decide to sell the Annie I can put it all back to 100% original if the buyer wants it that way.

Or...if I decide I'm not gonna gig with it I may just put it back to all original just for my own pleasure of noodling around on a beautiful old Gretsch the way it was originally intended.

– Wheelgrinder

I totally understand this. It was just for the case you were willing to sell. Mr. Mercury seems to be a very nice guy.

I'm taking your advice Bernie

– Wheelgrinder

Cool. Guitars should be played and you seem to like that one. I bet it sounds great with dynasonic type pickup whatever configuration you use. I know the first Tennesseans are beautiful guitars (gotta like red!) but you'll never get the same sound from a bridge position filtertron as you would from a neck position Dearmond. One would be bright, smallish and thick sounding, While the other starts off big and open but still with attack....at least that's how I hear them.

Also I know how it is if you're really used to particular setup. You have your amp set to get the most out of it. When you bring in different sounding guitar you end up spending a bunch of time trying to make it sound like your original setup which isn't usually possible.....that's why alot of my guitars end up with hilotrons on them. Lately I've been enjoying the sound of dynasonics too. More powerful, but still crisp and clear.

I know this is akin to closing the stable door etc, but I’d have gone for a T90 in a Gretsch Mount. You’re changing the pup anyway and you already have a Dyna Gretsch, and there was this other fella once has a P90 in the neck of a Gretsch...

I think the stable door is likely still open.

I know that when I play live with a guitar with bigsby I want another one there with an almost identical sound so I can pick it up mid song if need be (if on the off chance I break a string)

I know this is akin to closing the stable door etc, but I’d have gone for a T90 in a Gretsch Mount. You’re changing the pup anyway and you already have a Dyna Gretsch, and there was this other fella once has a P90 in the neck of a Gretsch...

– Deke Martin

The horse is already about three counties away A T-Series T-Armond is on it's way to me from Rocky at Street Sounds.

I hear what you're saying Deke but it's exactly the same Dyna Gretsch sound I already have with the Streamliner that I'm looking for with the Annie.

As for this P90 fella you speak of....well I do have a hankerin' to add a Custom Shop tribute model to my Gretsch family. If I can find one at a reasonable price that is. With only 50 of them made any that show up for sale are still at premium prices.

That would scratch that particular Dyna Bridge/P90 Neck itch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation