Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 1959 Single Annie

Yay! Love NGD!

Guitar pusher that Paul Pigat is he alerted me to this great '59 Anniversary 6125.

I went to check it out yesterday...played it...loved it...and dropped a quick note with a few pics to KC Eddie B to ask his advice on a few things (Thanks Ed!!) and today I brought her home.

Definitely a players guitar and nowhere near 'mint' or a collector's piece, but a fantastic sounding FilterTron...my first FilterTron Gretsch. All my others have been Dyna equipped, which I love, but I was looking for a second gigging guitar and it made sense to me to go with a FilterTron for a slightly different tone.

She's a beaut!

The original space control bridge is missing, as is the G Cutout tailpiece but she does have a 1950s B7 with matching Bigsby dogbone compensated bridge. Also the original open backed Waverly's got swapped out at some stage in it's life and there are Klusons on there now...but not 50s vintage. I'm on the hunt for a set of 50s Waverlys. If anyone has any leads for me I'd appreciate it.

The binding is separated a bit at the pickguard mount but other than that it has the usual amount of player wear and tear and a fairly decent amount of neck paint gone and buckle rash but boy does this guitar ever sound good!

Oh, and the volume control's not working but that's easily fixed. Feels good to have this one in the family.

It's a matching Bigsby bridge, so I say all the better... nothing against space controls here tho.

Such a cool guitar! And that B7 looks amazing. Congratulations!

congrats ! you got one from a great year. I have a '59 Annie, too.

Nice! I've got a '58 Streamliner that satisfies my non-Dyna itch. Someone had some vintage Waverlys on fleabay a few weeks ago for $100 but they're gone. Keep checking -- you'll find them.

Nice to see that you've landed this 'ol Gal! Play the snot out of it!

Nice score. I'm still loving my 1960, 6124. Congrats!

That B7 is worth enough these days to pay for the neck reset the guitar might need to make a B6 work. Are you going to keep it single pickup?

The Klusons are better tuners than the original waverleys ever were btw..

That B7 is worth enough these days to pay for the neck reset the guitar might need to make a B6 work. Are you going to keep it single pickup?

The Klusons are better tuners than the original waverleys ever were btw..

– WB

Yep, I’ll keep it as a single pickup. I have my 6120 if I ever crave two pickups, but I’m partial to single pickup guitars.

...and for now I’ll keep the B7 on there and see how I like it.

The Klusons are fine tuners but they’re not vintage, or at least not as vintage as I’d like. I think they’re from the 1980s. All of my other vintage Gretsch guitars have had Waverlys so I guess I’m used to them.

Nice! I had a single dearmond Annie once that I installed another Dearmond on. I ended up selling it to Shane Melkin. Your guitar is not unlike the streamliner I checked out in Seattle(which is still there), though that was a late 57 I think and had the smooth filtertron like the 58 club I just bought. Hope you got a good deal on the geetar.

I need to start making a commission!!!!

You're doing pretty well on pickup sales!

awsome! i wonder what your ser number is? (pm me please) my guitar is wonderful. if you haven't seen it yet there are vids on you tube of michelle marie playing mine at baltimore round up a few years ago. i think the single pickup versions sound better. dmunman on youtube. enjoy your new guitar!

Another great single pickup guitar - I love my '59 6125 too. How's the mud switch working for you? I put a new cap on one side of mine for just a tad of treble cut, and an inductor coil on the other side of mine for a bit of bass cut. Made the mud switch more functional than it had ever been before!

Dig it.

The bigsby is cool just the way it is. Love the original dog bone bridge.

Now just route it for a dimarzio in the lead position :)

Good on ya, Greg! I'd love to have a smoke green Anny, one day.

Light or heavy trestles? I’m guessing heavy because it has 22 frets.

Congratulaions! I love smoke green Anniversaries and this one is an elusive '59.

Nice! I have a 59 single green Annie too, slightly later than yours. Very cool guitars!

Thanks guys! I'm really digging this guitar.

I just bought a nice set of original 1959 Waverlys from a fellow GDPer so I'm even happier now.

I'm gonna get the wiring checked out and the volume control fixed in the next couple of days. I need a week or two of getting to know this guitar as I'm thinking of using it in our upcoming show opening for Paul. Seems fitting since he tipped me off about this baby in the first place.

awsome! i wonder what your ser number is? (pm me please) my guitar is wonderful. if you haven't seen it yet there are vids on you tube of michelle marie playing mine at baltimore round up a few years ago. i think the single pickup versions sound better. dmunman on youtube. enjoy your new guitar!

– munman

Hey Dave...happy to pm you but I'm also happy to let you know here that the serial number is 30620. It's in the data base too.

Great videos of Michelle Marie playing your Annie...sounds fantastic!

Light or heavy trestles? I’m guessing heavy because it has 22 frets.

– JazzBoxJunky

I would assume heavy trestles too. Peeping at the trestle through the f-hole it looks pretty substantial...but I'm no expert on the differences between light and heavy trestles.

Register Sign in to join the conversation