Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD - 1953 Electro

Oooolala; that's a grand old beauty Greg. Congrats and play it in good health!

Congrats Greg!

Such a cool guitar that!

Congrats! Take good care of that pretty axe!

Wow, that is BEAUTIFUL!

Congrats my friend, a dream machine to be sure.

You willl feel some kool 50s vibe just emanting from that thing when you are using it.

Great guitar and history. Congratulations!

A nice find Greg! Your music is perfect for this grand ol' gal. Nicole will give it the TLC it needs to be sure.

KILLER!!! I'm feeling pretty plain jane with my spruce top '53. Congrats!!!!

Now imma cry all over again about selling mine to charlie. I guess I missed the FS post, if there was one, so forgive me if this has already been discussed - is that a factory switch or aftermarket mod? If mine had a switch I would have never parted with it.

We believe we made the right choice and feel confident that you are the right person who will care and bring life back into her with your music. Greg we wish you the absolute best as you move forward with a little piece of our Dad's history. Looking forward to see this beauty back in action with you behind it. And yeeeeeeeeess we'd love to see you strike a pose like Daddy-O!!

Now imma cry all over again about selling mine to charlie. I guess I missed the FS post, if there was one, so forgive me if this has already been discussed - is that a factory switch or aftermarket mod? If mine had a switch I would have never parted with it.

– spike

Sorry, amigo...she's in loving hands, though. You have first refusal if I ever have to part with it.

Please appreciate your good fortune. Congratulations!

Lee

Nice. Picked one up this week myself. Just need a bridge and tailpiece and some new binding.

Chris, you are having a good week. I could use the pickups!

Yeah it’s been a lucky week for sure. I had one of these about 15 years ago that I have always regretted selling. This one looks like it’s gonna be a good one. Top is solid and the neck looks straight. Hopefully once I throw the bridge and tailpiece on it will be a good player.

Beautiful Guitar, and it apparently went to the right person.

I recently had a 1952-53 Dynasonic repaired by Curtis Novak here in California. He was reasonable and did a great job. His email address is curt@curtisnovak.com if you're interested in the OEM aspect of that Beauty moving down the line.

Sorry, amigo...she's in loving hands, though. You have first refusal if I ever have to part with it.

– charlie chitlins

Hey Charlie...Paul Setzer is going to help me with a pickguard for my Electro. But he needs a pattern for that particular guard. I wonder if you could help me with that?

Any chance you could take a pattern from the guard on your Electro and PM to either me or Paul?

– spike

It’s a factory switch. KCEddieB let me know that it was factory correct on the later Electros just before they were reborn as Country Clubs.

Belated thanks to everyone for the congrats messages and kind thoughts.

The Electro is going to my luthier next week for a thorough evaluation of what work needs to be done.

I’ll keep y’all posted!

Hey Charlie...Paul Setzer is going to help me with a pickguard for my Electro. But he needs a pattern for that particular guard. I wonder if you could help me with that?

Any chance you could take a pattern from the guard on your Electro and PM to either me or Paul?

– Wheelgrinder

Paul should already have a template of an electro 2 pickguard because I sent him one last year.

Tox, thanks for the reminder. I’ll try and check next time I’m near my files.

Come to think of it. This guitar has a lot of country club features.

Great acquisition, Greg.

Have your luthier check the pups if you haven’t already. My mate’s 6193 has hot pups, much more punchy than modern ones and my guess is yours might be similar.

Will you leave it stock or install a Bigsby?

Congrats on acquiring this beauty! I think you should strike a similar pose to this cool photo and take a pic of yourself, and begin this guitars new life (and let's see that pic)!

– kc_eddie_b

Apologies for the delay Ed... but this pic was snapped at a show in Antwerp last week. Pretty close to Jose’s pose...but his is way more rockin’!

Register Sign in to join the conversation