Vintage Gretsch Guitars

NGD - 1953 Electro

With sincere thanks to sabrinacovina and her husband Ruben, today I became the proud second owner of this fabulous 1953 Electro ll which was bought new, and gigged regularly in the 1950s by Ruben’s late father, “The Mexican Elvis”, Jose Perez.

The only real issue the guitar has is the tortoise shell risers have completely disintegrated under the pickups and the off-gassing has discolored the top a little around the pickups and has dissolved some of the screws in the pickups themselves. I’ll need to pull the pups and test them to see if they’re fried by the off-gassing...hopefully not.

The pickguard disintegrated years ago but a replacement won’t be a problem.

The neck joint is solid and the frets are in great shape for such an old guitar. I’ll get this to my luthier and see what she thinks, but I’m pretty confident I can have this old gal back in pristine playing condition without too much trouble.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you got this. Particularly that you got it. It is truly a Gretsch Dream Machine. Looking forward to the next video/record.

That’s a beauty! I was mighty tempted myself, but couldn’t justify it. Congrats! It couldn’t have gone to a better home.

Thanks guys. Very stoked that I get to take over the care and the continued playing of this beautiful instrument. Jose rocked this Rockabilly machine in the 1950s and I plan to rock it with The Wheelgrinders in the 20-Teens/2020s.

Big shoes to fill but I’ll give it my best!

Fantastic! Way to go , that’s a really nice guitar.

Old well loved guitar gets new loving home. Perfect.

Stunning.Congratulations on acquiring such a wonderful guitar and I hope you enjoy it for years to come

Wow, that's very cool. Congratulations Greg. It's a great story and it's perfect that you can be the keeper so the guitar can live on.

Amazing guitar and piece of history! Looking forward to your review once you (and your luthier) get it sorted out. Congrats!

So cool to care for and play a provenance guitar that was On The Scene.

I felt like this when about a year ago I got a 1974 D-18 used in the 70s and early 80s by DC bluegrass legend Charlie Waller.

Thanks guys. Very stoked that I get to take over the care and the continued playing of this beautiful instrument. Jose rocked this Rockabilly machine in the 1950s and I plan to rock it with The Wheelgrinders in the 20-Teens/2020s.

Big shoes to fill but I’ll give it my best!

– Wheelgrinder

Congrats on acquiring this beauty! I think you should strike a similar pose to this cool photo and take a pic of yourself, and begin this guitars new life (and let's see that pic)!

Wow! I’m sure it’s in good hands and that you’ll do it justice keeping this guitar and Jose Perez’s story alive. It’s nice to see that the family wants it to keep on entertaining people. Congrats!

All I can say is.....coooool.

I like the patina, and the prominence

Very nice! Congratulations sir! That’s a beauty!

What a lineage and legacy! Such a cool guitar. Play'er in good health!

Congratulations!! That is GORGEOUS!!

It sounds like you will continue this guitar's wonderful life of music and loving care.

Congratulations Greg! That is a beauty. I am guessing you will trust the restoration to Nicole, she will do a great job. Look forward to seeing it in action!

Congratulations on your new guitar, I'm glad you gave it a good home. Great ending to a great story, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.

Carry the torch.

I am so damn happy you got this guitar. No better destination for its continued journey making music.

Oh Man! That is a beauty! So glad it ended up in a true Gretsch lovers hands. I'm betting it wont take much to make it right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation