Vintage Gretsch Guitars

new yorker

I have a 1946 NY'r . I want to find the specs on the neck profile @ the nut and the 12th fret.

Can anyone help? I've looked around the net but nothing.

thanks.

There wasn't much info then especially on neck profiles unless it came with the assymeytric "non-pressure" neck. Does yours have a stencilled headstock logo or does it look like the one in the '48 catalog?

I'd be interested in how you've determined the New Yorker to be a 1946 example. That year is an odd year in Gretsch production as they were just ramping back up after the disruption caused by WWII.

I agree with Ed's assessment of what year your New Yorker may be. What's the S/N? and where is it? Is it stamped into the tip of the headstock, written in pencil on the inside or on a label? Would be nice to see a pic or two to help pin down what you have.

I'm of the opinion that your neck profile is probably the same as my '41 Synchro and that's the asymmetric style as described in the above link to the '48 catalogue. Gretsch touted this as an improvement back then but IMO it isn't. It isn't better or worst than the standard symmetric profile, just different. It was part of their hyperbolous marketing strategy in the attempt to woo buyers away from a Gibson purchase. They had interesting features true, but nothing ground-breaking. The neck profile didn't catch on and other manufacturers didn't copy it. Heading into the '50's Gretsch gave up on it along with the snake oil marketing "7 points of Supremacy" literature claims.

BTW, your guitar may have a non-adjustable steel truss rod in it as does mine. Get a decently strong magnet and check the neck from the back side. With the depth of the neck, the rod is near the middle and a weak magnet won't necessarily find it.

Whoa....you guys are sharp....it's a 1958, not 46 !! Serial # 28772...pix to follow I hope...sorry for the confusion...engage brain b4 post...

But I still wonder about the neck profile.

The neck won't be asymmetric, being from a '58 batch of New Yorkers. Top is laminate and it's the low end model. I suggest buying a cheap profile gauge and a electronic caliper and you can measure the neck to your heart's content. Little if anything was every written in the literature of the day regarding neck profiles or fingerboard radius' for that matter.

Mine’s a ‘54 and has a neck like a Louisville Slugger. By ‘58 they might have added a truss rod and been able to thin it out a bit.

They brought back the 'slugger' for the early Super Chets but I took care of that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation