Vintage Gretsch Guitars

New guitar day! 1955 Fleetwood 6039

thank you I agree the natural spruce is sweet

Prior to adding any amplification, I'd be interested in what your impressions are of it's tone and overall sound. I'm also interested in what type and gauge strings you're playing on it, or what it came with. Archtop.com always strings the guitars it sets up and sells (on consignment) with phosphor bronze. I do as well on my Synchro archtop except I use D'Addario's Flat Tops as they eliminate a lot of the noise round wounds create and are very easy on my right hand nails I fingerpick with. You can't tell any difference in sound between the two types and they last forever.

– Windsordave

It's loud and percussive. I don't think it has been played much. I think it needs some wear in to mellow out the tone . It came with round wound bronze 12's I think. I'm about to switch to d'addario flat wound 12 - 52.

Absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on getting such a peach

OK, jps1965, heres the deal-- I've run into a problem doing a direct transfer of the current listing within the database-- this happens occasionally in post-GDP-crash transfer situations. Fortunately I've developed a mildly cumbersome workaround method.

So here's what I need you to do-- I've left the OLD listing up temporarily, it's HERE. However I've modified the serial number.

What I need YOU to do is create a NEW listing for the guitar using the correct serial number. The specs on the old listing appear to be correct, so you can just refer to them when you create the new listing. You could even download and copy the photo, but it's pretty low-res and I'm sure you'd like to put your own photo in the listing instead (That's a suggestion).

Once you have the NEW listing created, PLEASE let me know, and I will delete the old one completely.

here's a pic of the split humpback fret markers. I think they are sweet.

Just saw the new listing-- the only thing I modified on it was the bridge type, which is the Syncromatic Synchrosonic bridge.

Old listing is deleted-- you are good to go!

That's simply a gorgeous guitar! Congrats.

Beautiful geet ,congrats sir!

Thanks Dave. i'll give the those strings a try. Ive only had flatwounds on it so I hoping it will be a welcome change. I rarely plug it in.

Great thread. Great pictures

I use the D'Addario medium Flat Tops on my '42 Synchromatic as well. Very pleased with them.

here's a pic of the split humpback fret markers. I think they are sweet.

– jps1965

These fret markers are absolutely elegant and so much more classy than thumbnails. Shame Gretsch went away from these as keeping them, along with the only guitar in their lineup with a carved top, would've kept the Eldorado the special build that it, and the Fleetwood prior to its being dropped, always were.

Your guitar is a transition model in that it has the new at the time T-roof logo yet retains the lovely split blocks. The G400 that came out awhile back was nice to see but didn't have the original features of these older archtops and of course, didn't have a carved top.

I do like humpblocks, and split humpblocks are great.

But you're on mighty thin ice dissin' Neoclassic thumbnails. There's hardly anything better in the history of history. If true elegance lay in minimal but entire self-sufficiency (and I think there's an argument to be made for that), thumbnails answer the call.

I do like humpblocks, and split humpblocks are great.

But you're on mighty thin ice dissin' Neoclassic thumbnails. There's hardly anything better in the history of history. If true elegance lay in minimal but entire self-sufficiency (and I think there's an argument to be made for that), thumbnails answer the call.

– Proteus

Oh I agree Tim that the thumbnails were also an elegant improvement at the time, over the in vogue to date, large, square block inlays and I wasn't dissin' them although I see where it could appear that way, but rather saying they could've left those intricate, elegant split blocks for the one remaining special, custom order only model in the lineup. That wouldn't have been asking too much.

here's some pics

– jps1965

Thanks for adding all of the extra photos!

Let us know what you end up doing with regard to a pickup. I like the Pete Biltoft floating Charlie Christian idea mentioned above. If it will fit, I think it would be a great choice.

Here’s a close up of my biltofit CC pickup installed by Curt.

It’s really nice.

And I restrung it with Bronze strings as suggested. It’s great. Thanks Dave and this great GDP for a never ending source of information that’s actually useful.

Been working on electrifying this Fleetwood. Made a acrylic pickguard. That came out nice after some trial and error. On version 2.0, I attached a Kent Armstrong slimbucker floating pickup and volume and tone pots under the guard. The jack that goes through the guard and into the f-hole. No new holes in the guitar and the pickguard on it was not original so no prob. Two screws and the whole assembly comes off.

Sounds nice. I need to improve the cosmetics of the paint job on the pickguard. But overall I'm happy with the results.

That looks classy. I'm a ride or die single coil man, but those Armstrongs sound smooth and perfect for the kind of sound most folks want out of a guitar like that.

I prefer single coils too. This PUP is a mini-mini humbucker. Very slim (because nothing else would fit under the strings) hence the name slimbucker and small coils. It's got a bright acoustic sound, to me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation