Vintage Gretsch Guitars

New guitar day! 1955 Fleetwood 6039

I bought this 1955 Gretsch Fleetwood today. It is in fantastic condition. I'd like to add a floating pup on it with no or minimal mods to the guitar. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

its on the archive. How do I update it?

Wow, that's an amazing looking guitar, congratulations!

Isn't Windsordave all eaten up those? Looks really cool.

Nice guitar, play her in good health!

Really nice. Would love to see more photos, if you're so inclined.

That is NICE! Congrats!

That's a beauty for sure. You should get Paul Setzer to make you a more correct pickguard as seen in the '55 catalog on page 10.

That's beautiful. Looking at a monkey on a stick D'Armond?

Yup, that's a beauty. Congrats on a great snag!

That’s got all of the right stuff. Great guitar.

There’s a bunch of options for floating pickups. I put a biltofit Charlie Christian pickup on a repro guard that I hade made for me by frank. Fulll floating and glued to the pickguard itself

Curt did a really nice job for me.

Enjoy that beautiful guitar.

That's a beauty for sure. You should get Paul Setzer to make you a more correct pickguard as seen in the '55 catalog on page 10.

– lx

Unless things have changed with Paul, he doesn't do bindings on guards. I contacted him a few years back to do this on my original Synchro guard and he referred me to Frank in the Netherlands for this work, and he did a fantastic job. He also has the same fiery tort material for new guards. You might find, if you don't need the guard for attaching pup materials, that it looks fine minus any guard. Try it and see what you think.

Congrats JPS! So happy to see another rare Gretsch join our family. For me, the finest feature of your new acquisition is the natural finish, which for me is so much more elegant than the [bourgeoise] sunburst.

Of course I look at it and think "all it needs is a couple Dynas and a Bigsby."

Oh My...... That looks FABULOUS!!!! Congratulations on landing that gorgeous specimen!!

– Proteus

what doesn't?

– Proteus

Put that "stuff" on a laminate top guitar.....leave the carved tops alone! If you feel the need to amplify it, use a floating set up, please.

I bought this 1955 Gretsch Fleetwood today. It is in fantastic condition. I'd like to add a floating pup on it with no or minimal mods to the guitar. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

– jps1965

Prior to adding any amplification, I'd be interested in what your impressions are of it's tone and overall sound. I'm also interested in what type and gauge strings you're playing on it, or what it came with. Archtop.com always strings the guitars it sets up and sells (on consignment) with phosphor bronze. I do as well on my Synchro archtop except I use D'Addario's Flat Tops as they eliminate a lot of the noise round wounds create and are very easy on my right hand nails I fingerpick with. You can't tell any difference in sound between the two types and they last forever.

Prior to adding any amplification, I'd be interested in what your impressions are of it's tone and overall sound. I'm also interested in what type and gauge strings you're playing on it, or what it came with. Archtop.com always strings the guitars it sets up and sells (on consignment) with phosphor bronze. I do as well on my Synchro archtop except I use D'Addario's Flat Tops as they eliminate a lot of the noise round wounds create and are very easy on my right hand nails I fingerpick with. You can't tell any difference in sound between the two types and they last forever.

– Windsordave

Dave

You have an old Synchro correct? I have one too that has flat wounds right now. I am always looking for a new idea for better sounds and tone.

Would you suggest the strings you use for my old Synchro 400 (its a 39'))

Thank you Fred

Dave

You have an old Synchro correct? I have one too that has flat wounds right now. I am always looking for a new idea for better sounds and tone.

Would you suggest the strings you use for my old Synchro 400 (its a 39'))

Thank you Fred

– Gasmoney

I sure would Fred! When I got the Synchro a number of years back, I put bronze strings on it and while they were brighter sounding than P-B's and gave the guitar a ton of projection, they were incredibly noisy! You could hear every touch of the strings, not just moving your fingers on them, and the guitar was very good at producing volume.

I read from archtop.com their procedure for checking out guitars they receive to put up for sale and they said they put phosphor bronze on everything, if not directed otherwise by the seller. They say that light gauge aren't recommended as they don't have the tension required to 'move' the top properly for optimal sound production. I have mediums on my Synchro - 13-53's and they're great and very quiet. I use Extra Lights on my flat top guitars.

If you're using a pup(s), usually floating, on your Synchro then flat wounds will work fine, but on an acoustic version I find they're very dull sounding. I once played a wonderful D'Angelico in Carmel than had heavy gauge flats on it and no pup and even that fine a guitar sounded dull, albeit it had been used by a jazz player. When in Nashville at Gruhns, I played two almost identical late '50's D'Angelico New Yorkers, one with flats and one with P-B rounds and there was a substantial difference in both the tone and volume.

I don't recall if your 400 has a floating pup or not but either way, IMO, it would sound terrific with a set of medium Flat Tops on it. If you do try a set, please let us know how they and the tone compare to the flats.

its on the archive. How do I update it?

– jps1965

Send me a PM with the serial number and I can transfer it over to your profile. If the PM bounces for some reason, just post the s/n here. If it's already in the database, it's no big deal for me to add it to your profile.

Register Sign in to join the conversation