Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Nesmith Tenny 12

Maybe best pix I have seen.of it. How do U think the headstock was done...

https://equipboard.com/item...

No one knows its fate or did I read here years ago... it wasn't the best job and sort of 'fell apart'.

I'm not sure you could "convert"/mod a 6 string headstock into 12 string with a large headstock. I think the tension would be too much for any glue joint. Del Casher modded his Duo Jet into a 12 string but I'm assuming he replaced the whole neck, but perhaps not. Didn't Crosby do something like that to a Gibson 335?

I'm not sure you could "convert"/mod a 6 string headstock into 12 string with a large headstock. I think the tension would be too much for any glue joint. Del Casher modded his Duo Jet into a 12 string but I'm assuming he replaced the whole neck, but perhaps not. Didn't Crosby do something like that to a Gibson 335?

– lx

I had thought maybe just some wood was added to headstock but you must be right ... it's lost to history at this point, except for Nesmith himself.

Del Casher is new to me -- maybe I am out of touch. Check the gal rockin' the kool EB-2 bass

About Crosby tho -- since there were 335 12s-- would there be any reason to make one from a 6 string unless it was before the 335/12 came out

Well those 9 strings I messed with last yr. must be the answer

Maybe best pix I have seen.of it. How do U think the headstock was done...

https://equipboard.com/item...

No one knows its fate or did I read here years ago... it wasn't the best job and sort of 'fell apart'.

– DCBirdMan

Yes I read the same thing, it did fall apart. The headstock seems pretty flimsy and I'm surprised it wouldn't just blow up once you got it tuned up. If my memory serves me, I think Nez said they just made a neck for it and looks like they used the original fret board.

– lx

I believe Crosby's was originally Stephen Stills 6 string Guild Duane Eddy model he played early in Buffalo Springfield. Stills had it converted to a 12 string later in Springfield, I remember seeing photos of it with Stills while still in Springfield, just before they broke up

It looks to me like he shaved down the sides of the headstock to make a longer flat surface to mount six tuners per side.

I love Del! Such a nice guy and a wealth of info. Del is the guy who helped invent the Vox Wah Wah back in 1966!

About Crosby tho -- since there were 335 12s-- would there be any reason to make one from a 6 string unless it was before the 335/12 came out

It seems to be somewhat popular among the vintage Gibson heads to do the opposite: buy the 12-string 335s and convert them to 6-strings. The 12-string models with the "good specs" from the 60s are cheaper than the 6-strings, and you can convert one for less $$$ than outright buying a 6-string.

Register Sign in to join the conversation