Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Neil Young’s Gretsch 6120’s

The internet contains some unsavory information about that guitar that Stephen Stills is holding, if you can believe what has been published. If true, I can certainly understand why you might want a photo of that guitar, Miss Deed.

Miss Deed, I assume that you have seen this photo before?

Cryptic coded mystery. What fun!

Here is perhaps a slightly better version of that photo.

Here's another for you guys

Children. They were all children.

Children. They were all children.

– Proteus

Stills doesn't look old enough to drive, in that photo!

Here's the complete photo you asked for - hope it shows what you are looking for. There must be a better copy somewhere.

– zuma11

Thank you very much. I have never seen this before!

I know that Stephen put a 12 string neck on his DE 400 Guild, and I believe David Crosby used it after that mod.

Indeed, the Guild That Stephen is holding is Duane Eddy model! Short lived in the Guild Guitars range, but they were very cool! I’ve only ever played one.. Neil’s Deluxe’s: I hope he didn’t store them in Daryl’s house as it burned to the ground last fall..

I saw them in July 1966 open for The Rolling Stones at The Hollywood Bowl! Stills was playing that blonde Guild DE500! They sounded amazing! I told Stephen once that I was at that concert and he said they were so wired on speed! “Man, we played everything at Warp Speed. We were so wired on speed”.

I saw them in July 1966 open for The Rolling Stones at The Hollywood Bowl! Stills was playing that blonde Guild DE500! They sounded amazing! I told Stephen once that I was at that concert and he said they were so wired on speed! “Man, we played everything at Warp Speed. We were so wired on speed”.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Here they are backstage at that 1966 Hollywood Bowl show with Stills & his Guild and Neil & his '61 6120.

– zuma11

Jeez.. Ritchie Furay doesn't even look like himself (or, should I say, the Poco version of himself). Stills & Young still both instantly recognizable, as well as Martin and Palmer.

I played my Buffalo Springfield CD recently. They had some really great, progressive songs.

And then when you do the math you realize how young they were.

That picture sums it up. What were you doing when that young?

Dewey was several years older than the rest...and looks it.

Ya know, there's less than six degrees of separation between Neil Young & Buffalo Springfield and Phil Hartman, and it has nothing to do with Phil Hartman's Gretsch guitar.

Anyone care to guess?

His artwork for Poco.......the horse.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Bingo!

Slightly off topic....but still related to NY:

That backstage photo shows Bruce Palmer with Bill Wyman’s Framus Star Bass! Bruce played it during their show that night.

– zuma11

I recall looking at pictures of bands like this when they were new and thinking "that's what I wanna do when I grow up!".

Now, I think "Why aren't those kids in school?"

Sigh.

Deed, may i quote and identify you regarding the Guild 12-string conversion? i follow Croz on Twitter and there was a recent thread speculating as to the identity of that guitar; as of now David himself is apparently unsure of its origin or fate, and it's been a topic of speculation among fans literally for decades. in the Twitter thread folks did identify it as a Guild body, but i've never heard anything more specific. given how awful things have been just lately i'm trying to do nice things for people and it would be neat to tell him about this. and given the depth of your knowledge of mid-20th-century American popular music, if i relay it from you it's entirely more authoritative. or if you're on Twitter you could ping him @thedavidcrosby.

also, how has no one said anything about Stephen's utterly heinous plaid trousers in that live shot? those are almost as bad as the ones i wore to junior high LOLLOLLOL.

Here they are backstage at that 1966 Hollywood Bowl show with Stills & his Guild and Neil & his '61 6120.

– zuma11

i believe Stills on this one...i think that's the only time i've ever seen Richie looking stoned :p

also, how has no one said anything about Stephen's utterly heinous plaid trousers in that live shot? those are almost as bad as the ones i wore to junior high LOLLOLLOL.

– macphisto

Those were right in-style back then! You can thank Mick Jagger for the popularity of plaid trousers! We all had them, straight legged and tight!

– macphisto

Hang on a sec (goes to look for a Bay City Rollers picture...)

Register Sign in to join the conversation