Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Need help with identifying this guitar

I was wondering if anyone can help me Identify this guitar, it was my dads who recently passed away. I was also wondering how I can take care of this guitar as the wood is warped and there are some cracks.

It looks like the serial number is 4925

Here are the pics: https://imgur.com/a/xfyzJlM

Thank you for the help!

Looks like the guitar is suffering from dry atmosphere and needs to be hydrated. The cracks should be repaired by a competent luthier. This is not so easy to cleat as it would be done through the F holes. The finish has been removed, so at this point I would stabilize the wood and play it in memory of your dad.

thank you so much, do you have any advice on how to hydrate the wood, I just want to save it as best as I can.

Your guitar's serial number puts in the 1937 timeframe. It's probably an American Orchestra model 35 (that's been stripped of it's finish).

thank you so much, do you have any advice on how to hydrate the wood, I just want to save it as best as I can.

– moriahlynn

If this has a case, you can purchase a humidifier at most guitar store or online. Look for one that will work with an arch top with F holes. Fill the humidifier with water and close it in the case with the guitar. If no case, you can do something similar with a large trash bag and a moist sponge for a few days. Then store it in a place that stays humidified. Houses with a humidifier or April air will keep the humidity around 35%. Just don’t soak the wood. It just needs to be around the same as your home.

Register Sign in to join the conversation