Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Need help from any Synchro 160 (catseye) owners

I’m trying to clear up some confusion I’ve had about these post-war Synchro 160 archtops. Looking for any owners to assist me with the width of the guitar’s body across the lower bout, and if their’s has white binding around the headstock or not. Thanks in advance for any input!

Here's mine. The lower bout is 16 inches, binding on the neck has nibs. A you can see, no binding on the headstock serial number is 2987. Good luck on your research!

RCgold... hey thanks that's exactly what I need. Hoping some others surface! I'm surprised to hear the width is only 16"... I was expecting more like 16.5". But... that's why I asked.

Hi, Mine is 16 1/2" and no headstock binding. Body binding is tortoise shell. ....sorry, just now read that you were asking about "cats eye" Syncromatic. Mine is "f hole". That might be the difference you were wondering though?

Thanks for responding hilosean... this particular inquiry is in fact focused at the cat’s-eye Synchro 160 model. Appreciate your response though!!

Ed, Have you come to any hypothesis on size yet? I am pretty sure at least one of my old CatsEye Syncro (No headstock binding) was 17". It was a big guitar.

kc_eddie_b Please contact me at your convenience. I have information on a NON-RELA TED topic that might be of more than passing interest to you. I do not know how to communicate in private messages on The Gretsch Pages, but if you do, please advise.

kc_eddie_b Please contact me at your convenience. I have information on a NON-RELA TED topic that might be of more than passing interest to you. I do not know how to communicate in private messages on The Gretsch Pages, but if you do, please advise.

– ewkewk

I just shot you a note via email...

Ed, Have you come to any hypothesis on size yet? I am pretty sure at least one of my old CatsEye Syncro (No headstock binding) was 17". It was a big guitar.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

Still need some verified input from Synchro 160 owners Joe... I'm working through various feature packages on this model and am trying to determine which related to model year upgrades versus just being a different model altogether.

Still need some verified input from Synchro 160 owners Joe... I'm working through various feature packages on this model and am trying to determine which related to model year upgrades versus just being a different model altogether.

– kc_eddie_b

Not sure how exact you wish to be? Here is the actual measurement. More like 15 3/4s

I thought my brother had sold the one he has (I think it's a 160 from the time period you want, I'm not sure) but per your thread Ed and the fact he happens to be visiting, I've asked him and it turns out he still has it. If you don't get enough data from here I'll see if I can get him to help. I have one pic of the guitar in my files.

As my brother has mentioned...I still have it!...but it's likely for sale when I get around to it. I'm not sure if it's a 160, but that sounds right.

Measuring mine: 16.5" across the lower bout. 3.5" body depth, unbound headstock. Bound Neck, Gold Plated hardware.

Interestingly, I have a 53" 100 and the tailpieces of both broke at the exact same spot in the same week...where the top portion joins the joint... stored in San Diego...so not sure if the weather had anything to do with that. Luckily, the reissue tailpieces are perfect matches.

Thanks for following up knavel! Would you be so kind as to shoot me the serial number on this guitar?

The 16.5" width is interesting and substantiates others I've documented. It occurs to me that the Gretsch literature claimed the 50s 6120 model to be 16" wide, when it was actually closer to 15.5"... so maybe these cats-eye guitars that are purported to be 16" or 17" actually measure in at 16.5"(?) I dunno, I'm still working on it.

Just to give you some additional perspective for this time period Ed, here's a few measurements from my late '41 - as you dated it for me - Synchro 100. The lower bout is 15 3/4", the body depth is 3 1/2", the scale is 24 5/8".

Other build features are: Full tort binding and bound tort pickguard, solid brass Grover tuners and buttons, Harp tailpiece, rosewood Art Deco bridge/base, and the top is natural and carved. Stamped into the tip of the headstock is S/N is 2301.

This may help put some of the numbers you have on the 160 into perspective.

Register Sign in to join the conversation