Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Neck reset?

Looking to buy an original 1964 Gretsch Duo Jet, is it common for these guitars to need neck resets? Reason I ask is guy said they’res a finish crack just above the heel on the back of the neck and he said it will need a setup with truss rod adjustment as he hasn’t had a setup in 10 years. I’m going to see this guitar tomorrow. Anything else I should look for? Much appreciated!

Solid body neck reset is not as common as hollow body but not out of the question either. A crack may mean it was dropped. Look at it closely.

The string spacing is way off, so I’m guessing it hasn’t been played in a while. Aside from checking the crack, check the bridge height and pickup/string clearance, and neck bow - which could be significant but readily adjusted to bring things back in line. Also check for possible neck twisting.

I’ll bet you knew that, just my train of thought.

Make sure the truss rod works smoothly. I had a '63 Jet Firebird and it was a great guitar. This Jet has the rarer "wiggly" handle. When using the Burns vibrato handle be very careful: the "blobby" end is all plastic and is prone to breaking off.

Loosen the strings hold the body then wiggle the neck, any movement and you need a reset.

Loosen the strings hold the body then wiggle the neck, any movement and you need a reset.

– Curt Wilson

This word of advice should be sticky.

Bridge height should be around 3/4 to 1" too much lower could mean problems. If it has high action up the neck and a lowish bridge you likely need a reset. Check for a ski jump on the fretboard extension too. I like how lived in it looks.

The string spacing is way off, so I’m guessing it hasn’t been played in a while. Aside from checking the crack, check the bridge height and pickup/string clearance, and neck bow - which could be significant but readily adjusted to bring things back in line. Also check for possible neck twisting.

I’ll bet you knew that, just my train of thought.

– nielDa

Thanks! After looking closely at the pic again as I follow the low E string back to the bridge, it looks like the string isn’t sitting properly.

Well the space adjust bridge could be way off. But I think it's pretty cool.

Indeed. I just looks like the E string is off it's roller unit. Not a real problem.

How’s the binding? Any sign of cracking or the start of deterioration?

Didn’t buy it. Was more than a finish crack.

Didn’t buy it. Was more than a finish crack.

– Malcolm77

That almost always seems to be the case. It would be pretty odd for a thin old nitro finish to develop a single big crack (as opposed to checking).

Register Sign in to join the conversation