Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Mystery Annie

I have no help for the year, but it is a lovely red, I always liked that colour. Brutal rot though, makes it look angry! I can't see the 'patch' the seller talks about. There would seem to be some respraying on the top but I can't see a patch. Seems with the rot and overall condition that the price is about $ 3-500 too high

Can't confirm it but I tend to agree with you Buddy.

Severe binding rot in full bloom! . IMO, knocks the price below a thou. The silver lining to the rot issue is that this model doesn't have the neck and headstock bound, reducing the re-binding costs. Finish condition is a tad nasty. Don't recall this model ever coming in this color.

The tailpiece suggest late '60s (as does the advanced binding rot). No idea what to make of that serial number, and the fact that it's on a label.

Regargless, that's way to much for a refinished beater single Anniversary. You could probably find a pretty clean one for that price.

Original red Annies are the coolest. If this was a total refin, then it's too high tho.

Asking too much for all the binding rot and sloppy re-fin. Grovers not original. I've seen a better, more original 6124 that went for about $900 on reverbay recently.

yeah, it's not really in the running for a project, it's just a mystery!

I ran across a '61 Annie 6124 a few years back which is "one that got away." It had a slim D shaped neck and sounded great acoustically. I went out of the show building to get more cash and it was gone when I got back. Had a headstock break that had been poorly fixed. I'd love to find her again.

I'll direct your attention to page 146 of your "Gretsch 6120" hymnal. These labels and serial numbers were part of the gap-fillers between the end of the post war sequential serial number system and the beginning of the date-coded system in Aug of '66. That makes this a 1966 model year Annie.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but there's ANOTHER mystery annie over on ebay.

This one might actually fit the bill!

390xxx were made in both 60 and 61....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

I have my feelin's but what do the experts think?

is the fact that it's in the 200's mean it's definitely a 60?

Cool, I own 39271 - albeit converted to a '6120'.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but there's ANOTHER mystery annie over on ebay.

This one might actually fit the bill!

390xxx were made in both 60 and 61....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

I have my feelin's but what do the experts think?

is the fact that it's in the 200's mean it's definitely a 60?

– Buddy Mercury

What's the mystery? The #392xx batch was a late 1960s model year group. I have documented a guitar from the next batch (#393xx) with an original bill of sale dated Dec. 27th, 1960. Clearly this suggests these guitars were made at least a month or two earlier, maybe more as some shops had slow moving inventory. Unfortunately there isn't a classic feature change on Annies for the '61 model year that makes the line of demarkation more obvious.

the mystery is...!...all the online data bases don't give that much info. The one's I saw say 39xxx span 60/61. I knew 392xx wasn't like 397xx or 398xx or anything but I'd be able to say "yeeeah it's either a really early 61 or a late 60" keeping with my chronological theme for my guitars.

All that being said, I think this looks like a good donor for my project (even with as gnarly as it looks the binding looks ok, which is one of the more important features).

Internet sources for Gretsch serial number chronology being incomplete and/or inaccurate is no mystery to me. The mystery is that no one can tell me "how" those were developed (since there are no Gretsch production records to go by). My research is based on data... dated pot codes, bills of sale, dated neck stamps, and a careful documentation of feature changes from batch to batch.

If you're of the school that believes that a guitar made in a calendar year (even if it was on Dec. 31st) belongs to that year, then this Ebay Annie is clearly a 1960, based on the BOS data point I've provided. However, if you're of the opinion (as I am) that the next model year guitars were produced in the late months of the previous calendar year (typically identified by a feature change) then there's your justification for claiming this Annie as a 1961 "mode year" example.

KC: I like your thinkin' !....

to justify for myself I thought something similar. If the guitar was produced in late 1960, that means it was almost certainly purchased and played first in 1961! Ha!

KC: I like your thinkin' !....

to justify for myself I thought something similar. If the guitar was produced in late 1960, that means it was almost certainly purchased and played first in 1961! Ha!

– Buddy Mercury

Well, it now would seem that your master's thesis on forensic evidence methodology is morphing a bit. Have you discussed this evolution with your committee and obtained formal approval? And shouldn't you be writing anyway? We have standards in academia, young man.

(from a former thesis prisoner)

Redrocker... I'm assuming your post was directed in my direction (and you're correct, I should be writing!). This "stance" on model year versus calendar year has been the basis of my thesis from the start. I've just recognized in the above post that there are still those out there that don't subscribe. I was offering the choice to Mr. Mercury so he can better sleep at night.

Haha! I'm satisfied with the rigor of my methodology. But I'm certainly always open for peer review! ...oh reviewer number 2...always the troublemaker.

Register Sign in to join the conversation