Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Show Us Your Binding Rot

Sorry, no binding rot here... just gorgeous pre-war ('42) tortoise celluoid...

Sorry, no binding rot here... just gorgeous pre-war ('42) tortoise celluoid...

– Tartan Phantom

I see your '41 Synchro Rob and call.

That’s OMG gorgeous Tartan.

Edit: just saw yours Dave. Two Beauties!

Just out of curiosity, what year was this poor girl, Norm?

– Windsordave

I believe it was a 73, but that was a while back and my memory ain't what it used to be. Took it to both of my Luthiers and they just shook their heads. I actually remember calling a few different Guys around the country trying to find someone qualified to re do the binding, but no one wanted to take it on, so I sold it.

That’s OMG gorgeous Tartan.

Edit: just saw yours Dave. Two Beauties!

– Baba Joe

I can't remember now, but we once knew...….our S/N's aren't very far apart. Knavel once had the triplet but it was sold.

Knavel once had the triplet but it was sold.

Sheez, talk about thread hijack!!! Yes I did sell it a few years ago. I haven't thought about it since. My sale was before Tartan P bought his so I thought he might have picked up mine at first but soon realized it wasn't the case.

The tortoise binding is super cool and definitely has extra appeal in that it never rots in the slightest.

Back on track. A couple of years ago I was playing a nice 6120 Blue Burst in West Coast guitars in Vancouver. Being a '90's guitar it had no binding rot but did have that nasty corrosion on all the hardware and the price was way too high given it's condition. However, hanging on the wall behind the counter was a mid-'60's DC Gent with binding rot so bad there were multiple chunks fallen out of ALL the binding! When this happens on the neck, it's awful hard to play! It was the worst example of binding rot I've ever seen, in pictures or in person. I didn't even want to touch the guitar, let alone attempt to play it. It also had that same corrosion issue and IIRC, he wanted $2800(?) for it! I figured it was worth a grand tops, and that's if you could do the full re-binding yourself, but even then all the hardware had that corrosion I call reverse pitting - raised bumps all over - and not a hint it ever was gold plated.

Register Sign in to join the conversation