Vintage Gretsch Guitars

My Dream Jet!!!

Stumbled across my dream jet. 1956 dark dark red firebird. Dynas. Ebony with thumbnails. Just get that pickguard out of the way and it's about perfect. Not sure how I'd get along with that bridge, and I do prefer the look of the v-cut Bigby. But really, those are the tiniest of quibbles. Can't find a shot at the whole guitar. You think it is a scripty?

Wish they had done a single cut version of that Wildwood FSR burnt cherry double cut.

Very nice. I think this might be a Firebird Jet and the outcome of the colour is due to the lighting, though.

Some of those old Jets are darker than modern firebirds though.

Some of those old Jets are darker than modern firebirds though.

– Strummerson

No doubt, Strum. Is the pictured guitar for sale?

Don't think so. And if it were, there would be no way of affording it unless I sold all my other guitars.

56 is too late for a scripty, I've not heard of there ever being a jet firebird with a script logo, but I'd love to be proved wrong. Lovely guitar

It's got thumbnails.

if the photo is accurate it's a great colour. i've never seen one that shade

Wouldn't thumb nails would be later than '56? Neck replaced?

How about a matching set like nielDa's burgundy firebird & Ed's/Crowbone's Streamliner

Wouldn't thumb nails would be later than '56? Neck replaced?

– jps1965

If it's really a '56, then yes, reneck.

If Dearmonds and ebony/thumbnails is your dream Jet combo, look for a '58. That's the only year that had those features together.

My 57 Firebird was also very dark compared to others I have seen and definitely darker than my 58.

I spy (with a lovely Jet in my eye) : at least one arrow only knob on the mv and of course the melitta. I'm thinking reneck. That's a gorgeous color, but lighting can sometimes do weird stuff. Burgundy and oxblood guitars, mmmm.

That handle isn't original to that Bigsby.

A Jet that beautiful deserves a Duane Eddy handle. Oh wait, they all do.

If it's really a '56, then yes, reneck.

– Afire

believe it or not... English is my first (and only) language.

I can always dream about that custom shop order...

Here's another shot of mine, 1957:

Register Sign in to join the conversation