Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Most Beautiful Black Pickguard Ever

...is on this '54 Jaguar Tan Streamliner, from the debut batch. There's a great photo of one of these in the Streamliner spread in Ed's book, but the way this particular guard was rounded is incredible. I mean Wow! Ain't that something else! In the vintage Gretsch acoustic section on the 'verb -- No Affiliation W/Seller as always.

Wow... $3200?! I wish! Mine has a lot of play wear but can be had for half that price!

It's like the inverse of the '53/'54 Duo Jet wedge guard. No doubt the same material, but with the thick white ply on the back instead of the front as on a Duo Jet.

They got a lot of mileage out of this material. It was used for pickup spacers as well. I've even seen scraps used as shims inside of FilterTron pickups.

I wish somebody still made that type of ply. Closest I can find is this:

photo 1269979591.jpg

It's so much because it's the one and only "Seamliner!"

It is beautiful though.

WHy won't it let me post a photo? What is error 500???

I wish somebody still made that type of ply. Closest I can find is this:

photo 1269979591.jpg

– Setzer

You could get pretty close with this stuff by laminating it yourself:

http://www.axinc.net/Cellul...

The white comes in .02" (.5mm) and .06" (1.5mm). The black comes in .02" (.5mm), .06" (1.5mm) and .09" (2.25mm). .06b/.02w/.02b/.06w would give a total thickness of 4mm, which would be fairly close. If they stocked white in .09" for the top layer, that would be nearly a perfect match. Maybe they do sometimes but are just out of stock. Worth an inquiry?

Next time I get some Tort from Bill I'll ask him about that. Thanks!

Wow... $3200?! I wish! Mine has a lot of play wear but can be had for half that price!

– kc_eddie_b

Im still keen to buy - sorry we couldn't arrange something at christmas. Hope to over that away again soon

WHy won't it let me post a photo? What is error 500???

– Billy Zoom

Unfortunately, for now you need to upload pictures to a photo-hosting site (Photobucket, etc.) and copy the link to your photo back here.

This discussion led me to do a quick eBay search for "Gretsch Streamliner" out of curiosity. 296 results. Annoying. I forgot about the recent dilution of that name.

What's the type of material used on old pickguards? I think the new ones that are laminated are ABS plastic. I believe the original laminated guards are Celluloid material glued/rolled together..

Register Sign in to join the conversation