Vintage Gretsch Guitars

More Duo Jet detective work!

This thread is inspired by two other recent discussions on this forum. The first was the great journey Deke Dickerson led us on as he researched the prospect of his new '55 6128 being historically significant (Cliff Gallup's Jet). The other was the pictorial review of the Philly guitar show, and the related discussion of documenting certain identifying data when possible.

As I've endeavored to find and document vintage Gretsch guitar specimens over the past decade I have periodically found inconsistencies with reported data. Specifically, serial numbers are really easy to transpose, mis-read, and goof-up. The following is the latest example... which I believe is an honest misrepresentation and in no way malicious.

This is going to take a couple of posts, so thanks for your patience!

– kc_eddie_b

Hi All, just noticed this post. I can clear up this mystery.

This thread is inspired by two other recent discussions on this forum. The first was the great journey Deke Dickerson led us on as he researched the prospect of his new '55 6128 being historically significant (Cliff Gallup's Jet). The other was the pictorial review of the Philly guitar show, and the related discussion of documenting certain identifying data when possible.

As I've endeavored to find and document vintage Gretsch guitar specimens over the past decade I have periodically found inconsistencies with reported data. Specifically, serial numbers are really easy to transpose, mis-read, and goof-up. The following is the latest example... which I believe is an honest misrepresentation and in no way malicious.

– kc_eddie_b

– kc_eddie_b

I think we got it clear already, but what have you got Gordon?!

I think we got it clear already, but what have you got Gordon?!

– kc_eddie_b

Trying to post more info but getting error.

Yes. eddie is correct that the sign serial number was wrong. That was my mistake since I’m a bit dyslexic. I own the Yikes Jet. Yes it is the Yikes Jet.

Yes. eddie is correct that the sign serial number was wrong. That was my mistake since I’m a bit dyslexic. I own the Yikes Jet. Yes it is the Yikes Jet.

– Gordon Ramsey

As for asking price, it has come down. In a case where you have a guitar this old and in this condition with all the paperwork and amp, there are no comparables to go by to price it. In the vintage market (like the baseball card or any colectibles market) prices can double or triple if the item is mint or close to mint. So with no comparable sold prices you basically have to go fish.

There has been some high offers by some well known Gretsch players but not quite enough.

Cool... thanks for the confirmation! Your Jet is not only an amazing specimen, but as you may have gleaned from this (and other) threads, has become the stuff of legend within the Gretsch enthusiast community! Thanks for dropping in!

Cool... thanks for the confirmation! Your Jet is not only an amazing specimen, but as you may have gleaned from this (and other) threads, has become the stuff of legend within the Gretsch enthusiast community! Thanks for dropping in!

– kc_eddie_b

Thank you and the whole group for the info.

Welcome aboard Gordon. Are you the original Mr Yikes? Have had the Jet since those heady days back in the early noughties?

Welcome aboard Gordon. Are you the original Mr Yikes? Have had the Jet since those heady days back in the early noughties?

– Deke Martin

I bought it in 2009.

Ah, that explains things. I thought I remembered it selling a few years ago.

I remember when it finally was sold and the buyer who was a member here told us about it. Was it you Gordon?

I remember you had it at a Roundup in Baltimore, with a "do not touch" sign on it.

I remember when it finally was sold and the buyer who was a member here told us about it. Was it you Gordon?

– Andreas

Yes that was me. I bought it from a vintage dealer who bought it from the original owner.

Register Sign in to join the conversation