Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Model# search

Model # X Serial # 10799 Dad purchased in November of 1953 from Brooklyn NY. He wanted the one in the window and they declined to sell it to him. Trying to figure out what kind of model it is and it's worth, if anything. Please help with any information possible

You might want to attach a photo.

You might want to attach a photo.

– Bonedaddy

I am really having difficulties posting my photos. Can you direct me?

Look above the text box where you posted your latest reply.

There is a small yellow & black symbol. Click on it, then click on "browse", and you can select a photo on your computer.

Or, if you have a photo stored on-line (i.e. at imgur, etc.), simply copy the link to your photo that ends in an image extension (*.jpg), and paste it into your post.

All it has on the label is Model # X in pencil the serial number is stamped

That is a beautiful guitar!!!! It’d be a killer CS recreation too I think.

That is sweet!

That's a 1953 Electro II model 6192-3. This one is a very late example just before the model evolved into the Country Club.

What your father bought was a 1953 6192-3 Electro II, the precursor to the Country Club, one of the most venerable of Gretsches. Your Gretsch has a beautifully grained maple top with the original tweed case. It's hard to tell from the pics, but are the knobs metal or clear plastic? It appears to have the rarer two-toned gold tailpiece. At any rate you have real find; clearly, your father had great taste and appreciation for quality. If you have pics of him playing it and/or copies of the bill of sale, you have a real find on your hands. Any more pics you have or can make will help us to further identify any other salient features; the bridge may be one of the rarer versions of the Melita, possibly with all bakelite (rather than chromed pot-metal).

Pics are done one-at-a-time for posting purposes. Thanks for posting this rare gem.

Thank you so much for the information. The knobs are clear plastic

The reason it just says "X" with no model number is that the model numbers, unlike the serial numbers, were ink stamped (depending on the model of course). The ink in many cases for this era of instruments has faded away completely or near completely, and your guitar is an example of this.

Edit: Great photos of the guitar and your papi in action! You might notice that the pickguard that was on the instrument is no longer there now. This is not a huge deal.

This is fantastic. While the black pickguard is gone, there are a few people here who can make you an exact copy.

The reason it just says "X" with no model number is that the model numbers, unlike the serial numbers, were ink stamped (depending on the model of course). The ink in many cases for this era of instruments has faded away completely or near completely, and your guitar is an example of this.

Edit: Great photos of the guitar and your papi in action! You might notice that the pickguard that was on the instrument is no longer there now. This is not a huge deal.

– knavel

Thank you... we did notice that

This is fantastic. While the black pickguard is gone, there are a few people here who can make you an exact copy.

– lx

Wow!

Where do you see the "X" designation? The labels inside the guitars never had these designations; roughly, "X" for acoustics, "PX" for electrics, but these were only seen in catalogs or price lists, never on the guitar labels.

If you could take a photo of that, you would be making Gretsch history, as that hasn't been seen before (IIRC).

One other question/point - do my eyes deceive or is the bridge pickup green on its sides? If green, the risers under the bridge pick up should be removed. The tortoise shell risers used in this time period off-gas a lot over time and this can do harm to that pick up, which is an important part of that guitar. There is one person here who can make new risers like this for you if that is what has happened.

Here is the most extreme example I've ever seen of what off gassing can do--I expect it was the tortoise pickguard in the case of this guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation