Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Modded Rambler

Very nice. Apart from what's written in the ad, I'm pretty sure that both pickups are new. They look like Lindy Fralin's p90s in a Dyna housing. For this reason, I think it's a bit too expensive... but for 800 I'd be all over it.

Very nice. Apart from what's written in the ad, I'm pretty sure that both pickups are new. They look like Lindy Fralin's p90s in a Dyna housing. For this reason, I think it's a bit too expensive... but for 800 I'd be all over it.

– stiv_c

I think they could be these,

Yeah, I was thinking about these Link but you're probably right.

Well I pointed out to the guy he needs to cite the changed bridge and state that it's 23" short scale, and also state what the pickups are.

He offered it for 1200 but I'm dead-in-the water until something sells. I don't think it will go for over $1000.

...binding rot in the pre-binding rot era... - DCBirdMan

I'm starting to doubt whether there really is a pre-binding rot era. 15 years ago, I'd have said the cutoff was about 1964. But over the years, that cutoff seems to have steadily inched its way back to the late '50s. This isn't the first rotten '57 I've seen. I've never seen rot on anything older than '57, but in another 5 years, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that change.

...binding rot in the pre-binding rot era... - DCBirdMan

I'm starting to doubt whether there really is a pre-binding rot era. 15 years ago, I'd have said the cutoff was about 1964. But over the years, that cutoff seems to have steadily inched its way back to the late '50s. This isn't the first rotten '57 I've seen. I've never seen rot on anything older than '57, but in another 5 years, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that change.

– Afire

My own totally unsupported theory was that when Baldwin took over in 67 they got into cost cutting/efficiency etc ---- no different than the well documented cost cutting that CBS put on Fender that led to the whole pre-CBS scene.

So maybe Baldwin switched binding suppliers to cheaper stuff -- maybe why late 60s binding rot is the worst.... but then that's just 200% speculative.

Register Sign in to join the conversation