Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Melita bridge Patents

A bit of history here, found on "Google Patent".

The original patent fo the Adjustable Guitar bridge, filed Nov 14, 1949, granted Aug 21, 1951

And the Adjustable Base, filed July 28, 1954, granted March 26, 1957

And an original circa 1955 User Manual

I looked at that patent a while ago when searching information for an article. Also check Sebastiano's coffee maker patent(!)

Interesting (but not surprising) that the bottom drawing shows the saddles adjusted for a wound 3rd string, apparently as the default configuration. Sign of the times.

The percolator is great. Where can I find one like this? :)

Funny also, he patented a Muting Device... not surprising given the easy way to palm mute his original bridge design .....

Flat screws, stainless steel, $6/set.

The percolator is great. Where can I find one like this? :)

Funny also, he patented a Muting Device... not surprising given the easy way to palm mute his original bridge design .....

– Hepkat67

The aforementioned Melita muting device... off.

So....the same guy might actually historically have something to do with the modern day coffee filters? That's a joke that comes up a lot when the "Melita" name is mentioned, but turns out it might be the same guy...?

Was checking that out a while ago - no connection.

Was checking that out a while ago - no connection.

– nielDa

According to the scottymoore.net site …….."In all, Melita would own six patents, four Instrument related, one for a coffee maker and 20 years earlier for a baby bottle support". But in checking that out it appears that it was a Melitta Bentz in 1908. Link

Register Sign in to join the conversation