Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Meathead Dealers

No Affiliation With Seller.

Really? I'm almost speechless. They actually strung it up. You can get a repro Synchromatic bridge for less than thirty bucks and a decent compensated bridge -- new -- for less than that. What are they thinking? What are they smoking? No wait, that's unfair -- this is too stupid for Cheech and Chong.

Reverb is kind of like an Ebay but people put in consignments, right? I don't think their a dealer, per se.

Number of strings= How insightful.

Seen this also w/ amps... they drag a tweed or brown amp out of barn, all dirty and full of mouse droppings, and they don't even clean the damn thing up before putting a mega-price on it. Restore that sucker you lazy slugs!

Still better than Bevete.

And Tommy Chong actually can play guitar.

I don't know what the big deal is, I'd just offer them $700 less because it doesn't have the original bridge. LOL

Pretty sure there is s secret reason the bridge is “missing”

That’s the new “Invisalign” bridge.

I don't know what the big deal is, I'd just offer them $700 less because it doesn't have the original bridge. LOL

– Devil's Tool

Not enough of a discount! I'd take $1500 off citing $500 for the missing original bridge/base and pickguard and $1000 because this is yet another "flawed" Gretsch cutaway with the stupid "hand-catcher" feature!

The other one for sale is to my mind, closer to its value in today's market. It's a blond finish, which like it or not all you sunburst lovers , does command a higher price. It has the more upscale humpblock fretboard markers, but while the tuners are period correct, I'm not convinced they're original. And the pickguard looks too new to be original, at least the binding hasn't the appropriate aging and the bracket has no patina. Most Art Deco rosewood bridges and bases (again period correct) of this vintage are very dark now, almost black. These look as if they might be of recent vintage too. The tailpiece, again period correct style looks to me like it's the shorter version and I'm pretty sure it should be the longer version - an inch difference - this Constellation being a 17" wide lower bout guitar, indicating to me it's a replacement.

Buoying the price IMO, is the fact this one doesn't have the "hand-catcher".

According to Ed's book, the S/N puts this in the first batch of '53's as it has the new T-roof Gretsch logo and a block marker at the first fret. Halfway through that batch is when the humpblocks appeared, making this considered a '54 year model.

If I'm right on the replacement/incorrect parts then it isn't worth the asking price IMO. I'd peg it at more like 2K, assuming no issues with the neck.

Pretty sure there is s secret reason the bridge is “missing”

– JazzBoxJunky

A bridge plus base would probably reveal the badly needed neck re-set.

Windsordave- - those are absolutely Grover replacement tuners and not the originals. Two ways to tell that from just looking: First, the winding stems that end in the step-up Imperial key are slightly longer than the original winding stems. Second, on the backside of the tuning machines, both the top and the bottom of the tuning machines have triangular shaped housings where the screws are affixed. On the new machines, you have one of the housings triangular shaped on the end but also a flattened out/squared off housing on the opposite end as you do on this example. Another thing to note is that the lower numbered Constellations of this batch used Kluson waffle back tuners and higher numbered Con stellations of this batch used Grover Imperials As for the pickguard, the guitar is portrayed in the catalog with a plexiglass/Lucite painted pickguard and not a tortoise shell as here. It is however possible that this is an original pickguard as Gretsch was using tortoise shell plastic guards on the 1953 Electros and the earlier batches of Constellations like the first 6030-6031 first pictured in the link, the guitar with no bridge. Still, you are also correct that this pickguard just looks too new

Hold on, lemme take my reading glasses off so I can get a better look at this thing.

A bridge plus base would probably reveal the badly needed neck re-set.

– sascha

That could very well be the case but my immediate thought was The bridge/base was parted out. Either is a possibility, but putting strings on is truly weird.

The bridge is the only part that sold separately.

Register Sign in to join the conversation