Vintage Gretsch Guitars

maybe trollin for a hi lo Tenny (again)

Once I start listing to Beatles For Sale -- the feeling takes over -- Just in the "intitial thoughts' phase, to

Of course as one of the best selling guitars of the mid 60s .. they are not rare so lots to choose from. Also thought of finding a hack refin so a cool finish could go on it.

Or should I go w/ a Modern World Hi Lo Tenny of 6-8 years ago. Have seen some for as little as $1200.

I swear the neck on m6 '66 felt like a full 1 3/4" but never checked since I wasn't as bent on the wide neck scene like I am now.

I know I posted once if anyone had actually A/B'd a 60s and 2K one... I don't think anyone had.

I A/B’d my ‘65 against an ‘05 a few years ago. The consensus amongst me and the store employees (who all knew me) was that mine was better.

I don’t think that they were simply humoring me as a good customer. The details I recall were that mine was in nicer shape; the newer one had corroded pickups and bridge due to the previous owner’s sweat and didn’t look well cared for. Everyone said that mine sounded better. I don’t recall why.

I would be shocked if found a 1.75 neck on a Tenny - vintage or new. I would describe mine as smaller than modern necks and believe that the neck on the 2005 Tenny was fuller and similar to that on my 2005 5125 which I like very much. The neck on my 2012 6122-1962 is also similar to the 5125 and I think that the neck on any vintage Gent I played was similar to my Tenny’s neck. When looking for a Gent I was open to either vintage or modern and am very happy with the one I bought.

The difference between a vintage Tennessean and a modern one is simply matter of preference. Both are good.

Please don’t take this as negative in any way - you are more of a vintage guy but, given your practice of flipping so many guitars, I would probably take the less expensive route and go modern and then if you realize that Tennesseans are the way to go, then look for a nice vintage one and lose the modern one. Either way you will get a good guitar but no 1.75 neck but at least the modern neck would be fuller.

Or you could look for a 6122-1959 and maybe put TVJ HiLos in it? DB62 recently put T’Armonds in his and is happy.

Edit: the binding on my 1965 Tenny is still good fwiw.

I A/B’d my ‘65 against an ‘05 a few years ago. The consensus amongst me and the store employees (who all knew me) was that mine was better.

I don’t think that they were simply humoring me as a good customer. The details I recall were that mine was in nicer shape; the newer one had corroded pickups and bridge due to the previous owner’s sweat and didn’t look well cared for. Everyone said that mine sounded better. I don’t recall why.

I would be shocked if found a 1.75 neck on a Tenny - vintage or new. I would describe mine as smaller than modern necks and believe that the neck on the 2005 Tenny was fuller and similar to that on my 2005 5125 which I like very much. The neck on my 2012 6122-1962 is also similar to the 5125 and I think that the neck on any vintage Gent I played was similar to my Tenny’s neck. When looking for a Gent I was open to either vintage or modern and am very happy with the one I bought.

The difference between a vintage Tennessean and a modern one is simply matter of preference. Both are good.

Please don’t take this as negative in any way - you are more of a vintage guy but, given your practice of flipping so many guitars, I would probably take the less expensive route and go modern and then if you realize that Tennesseans are the way to go, then look for a nice vintage one and lose the modern one. Either way you will get a good guitar but no 1.75 neck but at least the modern neck would be fuller.

Or you could look for a 6122-1959 and maybe put TVJ HiLos in it? DB62 recently put T’Armonds in his and is happy.

Edit: the binding on my 1965 Tenny is still good fwiw.

– Baba Joe

Didn't you buy mine about 5 years ago?

It's been about that long since I owned one.

Guess I will see what's out there. The proof is in the playing.

Lots of guitars come and go, but I never have more that 3 or 4 electrics at once.

I gotta be honest with myself... if it's not a 1 3/4 neck it won't be staying very long.

Better just to hold out for one of those early Vettes/Twists, even dare I say it.. a Princess that really do have a 1.75 neck and have bigger frets put on.

But dang I love that Beatles for Sale sound...

No. I have owned my Tenny since 1967. My Gent came from Snorre last year.

The 6122-1959 HiLos comment came after I had written the whole post, but I think you should give it some thought and bet it would sound good plus it has big frets.

I also have a 6122-1959. I bought it when the only Gretsches I owned at the time were the Tennessean and the 5125. Talk about night and day - I briefly considered selling the ‘59 because the neck was so different! Would have been a huge mistake. You owe it to yourself to consider this model.

I had a ‘67 and ‘66 Tennessean. They both had issues. Unless you can find a great vintage example and try it out in hand before buying... go for a post 2016 model with tv Jones hilotrons.

I've owned a 64 Tennessean for about 30 years now and it was my main guitar until I went on a guitar shopping spree 2 years ago. Now it's getting a much deserved break. Not a 1 3/4" neck , definitely a 1 11/16" and one of the most slender and fast necks on all my vintage Gretschs. All the rest are definitley chunkier.

Lovely sounding , versatile, solid and reliable guitar. It has seen a lot of road and daily handling.. Find a good one and enjoy. I've never tried a new one. I saw somebody play one in a Beatles tribute band and it sounded thin but i think that was as much their rig. I have 12-54s on mine and play a wide range of styles on it. I didn't buy it because I was a George Harrison Fan. I bought it because it was beautiful.

Just something to spur on your Tenny search!

Once I start listing to Beatles For Sale -- the feeling takes over -- Just in the "intitial thoughts' phase, to

Of course as one of the best selling guitars of the mid 60s .. they are not rare so lots to choose from. Also thought of finding a hack refin so a cool finish could go on it.

Or should I go w/ a Modern World Hi Lo Tenny of 6-8 years ago. Have seen some for as little as $1200.

I swear the neck on m6 '66 felt like a full 1 3/4" but never checked since I wasn't as bent on the wide neck scene like I am now.

I know I posted once if anyone had actually A/B'd a 60s and 2K one... I don't think anyone had.

– DCBirdMan

Actually Geoff (Dr. Gretsch) did and you even commented on it.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

Well if one happens it would be a new model, since big frets are also big with me now, like wide necks. They weren't so important back when I came on this board in 2006 or so. But really no acqusitions till I can move 1 or 2 guitars. Used to be cheap stuff sold pretty fast, but not so much now.

I restrung mine today. Always used roundwounds on Tennesseans. The flats are a nice change.

Hilo'Trons and flats are a match made in heaven. For my tastes, they don't work well with most pickups, but they're great with ultra-bright pickups like Hilos and most Fender pickups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation