Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Marshall Crenshaw & his old Firebird Jet

I saw his show last night. I forgot what a great guitar player he is. Great tunes, his voice is as good as ever. I love a trio.

Dang right in my hood and I missed it. He'd been a diehard Strat guy and maybe still is. Good picker tho for sure.

All the best Jet Firebirds are "old".

He bought his ‘60s Strat in the ‘70s and his ‘50s Jet in the ‘80s and played both last night.

All the best Jet Firebirds are "old".

– kc_eddie_b

Yep. One of the last guitars on my want list.

Crenshaw played Buddy Holly to Lou Diamond Phillips' Richie Valens in "La Bamba".

He also played John Lennon in the musical Beatlemania on Broadway.

Cool to see Marshall with a Gretsch! It seems his second fav guitar for years (behind Strats) has been Mosrites.

For whatever reason I bought - and loved - his debut album when it was released, and all I listened to at the time was much, much harder.

When I got my ancient Technics back up and running about a year ago this LP was one of the first ones played. It's still fantastic

Had no idea he was a Gretschie, though...

Neil Finn loves his Jet Firebird Jet too.

I've seen Marshall Crenshaw live several times. Playing a Jet goes back to the 80's. I saw him at the old Empire Rock Club in Philly back then with a Jet. I also have seen him on several occasions with an all gold vintage Strat. Crenshaw also had an endorsement deal with PRS at one time and could be seen playing PRS live. I know Crenshaw had a large collection of vintage guitars but I had heard he had sold off quite a few but I'm sure he has kept some choice pieces and probably acquire a few more over the years. Crenshaw's first electric was a Gretsch Corvette. Great songwriter and excellent guitar player. Havn't seen him live in quite a few years. Hope he comes to Philly soon.

I've seen Marshall Crenshaw live several times. Playing a Jet goes back to the 80's. I saw him at the old Empire Rock Club in Philly back then with a Jet. I also have seen him on several occasions with an all gold vintage Strat. Crenshaw also had an endorsement deal with PRS at one time and could be seen playing PRS live. I know Crenshaw had a large collection of vintage guitars but I had heard he had sold off quite a few but I'm sure he has kept some choice pieces and probably acquire a few more over the years. Crenshaw's first electric was a Gretsch Corvette. Great songwriter and excellent guitar player. Havn't seen him live in quite a few years. Hope he comes to Philly soon.

– Gretschadelphia

He will be playing at City Winery, Philadelphia, PA on Nov. 23 (this Saturday night).

Register Sign in to join the conversation