Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Lovely Database Guitar That I Hadn’t Seen Before

Now, this is one sweet looking vintage Synchromatic, apparently from 1955. For some reason, I like the cat-eye style f-holes on this guitar better than I find them on the Historic Series models of the Nineties and early Aughts. Perhaps it is due to the size of the bout on these Synchromatic models.

But, what a beautiful instrument.

Here is the owner's site containing more photos of this great guitar: Photo Website

And here is a very interesting thread from a couple of years ago where some of our residents experts assist the owner in figuring out just what this guitar is. Thankfully, we have guys like KCEddieB, jackdaniels, afire and gasmoney to help us understand a bit of the company's production history. Hopefully, all of Ed's and Joe's records and anecdotal research is locked up in a "fireproof" (get it??) safe so that it will not ever be lost. This information is truly priceless.

Prior GDP Investigative Thread

So much info was lost in the two fires that Gretsch had.

Wow, Thanks for sharing that one again.

she is magnificent I adore 8-)this guitar

That one also has the rarely seen, and very HUGE, paddle headstock.

How do you like this one? The guard kinda obscures one of the cats-eyes.

It's the 400JV and I got one. :)

Ric, both jackdaniels and Ed have contributed quite a bit to the Gretsch-Gear database, and I absolutely encourage them to continue to do so. Let the database replace crusty old excel files, you know?

And it's backed up frequently.

It's also going to top 3,000 guitars pretty much any day now.

Probably a good time to mention, if your guitar isn't in there, add it.

(and yeah, I know I still need to add my 12-string)

Ric, both jackdaniels and Ed have contributed quite a bit to the Gretsch-Gear database, and I absolutely encourage them to continue to do so. Let the database replace crusty old excel files, you know?

And it's backed up frequently.

It's also going to top 3,000 guitars pretty much any day now.

Probably a good time to mention, if your guitar isn't in there, add it.

(and yeah, I know I still need to add my 12-string)

– Baxter

+1 to that, Bax. Having the information here on the GDP is a great place for consumers and amateur historians to peruse the information and learn from it.

I also understand that Ed, in particular, as an author, may have a vested economic interest in retaining his entire storehouse of knowledge because he can use it to write and publish books. But, at some point in time, when he no longer cares to write new books, I am hopeful that Fred Gretsch and Joe Carducci can be provided this information for the benefit of the company too.

In the meantime, I don't begrudge him, or anyone else, the historical data and information that they have been able to assemble over the years. It represents untold hours of study and inquiry. I am just pleased as punch that we have guys like this on the GDP who are so knowledgeable. It makes the information so much more reliable, and the site a more interesting and fun place to hang out.

Baxter, how do I switch ownership on the Jet that I bought from NJBob?

That is absolutely beautiful, Bob. You're right about the cat-eye style f-holes. Their shape is bold. Like Bogie's eyebrows when drawn by Al Hirschfeld.

– Unclegrumpy

– UncleGrumpy

Well, I suppose that you could give him the guitar back, for starters.

Grump, shoot me an email with the serial (or link)

Ric, Ed's been pretty active adding info to the database, actually.

Register Sign in to join the conversation