Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Lefthand corner: A 1956 Gretsch Duo Jet on German eBay.

I just came across this. Never seen one before. Assume they are rare. Looks legit at first sight to me. What do you think? Pics (no description, though) at eBay. Seller just says that the guitar is out of an estate and he doesn't know about this stuff. No Paypal but since pick-up is an option it might even be serious.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/153...

Someone should let Ed Ball know the serial number of this guitar, 19189

Paging Frequent Flyer 909...

According to my Handy Dandy Gretsch Decoder Ring (Gee! It's swell!), That's a legitimate '56, right down to the plain guard. Looks pretty clean too although the bridge looks pinned. Also, check out the second label covering the first one; wonder what's under there.

Rare... that’s an understatement! Gretsch lefty examples were only available by custom order. In fact, i’m not sure i’ve even seen another vintage lefty Jet before! Wait... yes I have... that refined orange mess with the tape marks that made the rounds a few years back.

This one is in fab condition! It still has the righty tailpiece, but that was stock equipment for these. I do however have a lefty specimen of the G-cut tailpiece, so they did exist.

Oh yeah... just recalled the lefty Roundup in the Bachman collection. So I guess I have seen others... but not many!

I will have an eye on it. Let's see how it will develop. For this I would let my 2015 Duo Jet go.

I will have an eye on it. Let's see how it will develop. For this I would let my 2015 Duo Jet go.

– blueflame

It has your name on it! If you have the cash I would make an offer. How high are chances you'll ever see another over here? Make sure to pick it up. It's worth the travel.

Wow!

– BuddyHollywood

I don't know. This has the potential to wind up somewhat of a bargain. Courtesy of Google Translate:

Shipping would be done via forwarding for a surcharge and of course insured! I refuse Paypal

That's going to exclude a lot of potential buyers outside Bavaria, and especially outside the EU. If paypal isn't accepted (and I think that's a violation of eBay's terms of service, at least it is in the US), then I wouldn't even consider bidding unless I was picking up in person or knew somebody in the Munich area who I could trust to do it for me. Then there's navigating CITES if you're outside the EU. That's why I could see the final bid being relatively low.

Then there's the lefty factor. I don't know what that tends to mean. Does the rarity and presumably resulting competition among the small pool of lefties outweigh the fact that the overwhelming majority of guitarist would have no interest?

I know a certain German Jet collector who might go after such a specimen despite his own right-handed orientation.

Another close look at the photos... are the knobs plain-topped? By '56 the arrow knobs were the standard. Lefty Gretsch examples can often have a variety of features from previous models years since the lefty components were so infrequently used... but control knobs should be ambidextrous.

Wealthy collector? That 500,00 Euros translates to $569 US. They use commas where we use periods, you know.

Hmmmm...

Paul/FF909

Wealthy collector? That 500,00 Euros translates to $569 US. They use commas where we use periods, you know.

Hmmmm...

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

It has your name on it! If you have the cash I would make an offer. How high are chances you'll ever see another over here? Make sure to pick it up. It's worth the travel.

– sascha

So Sascha, is this Gretsch on ebay Australia or not? Saw your post just before it was erased.

Edit: or was this posted by blueflame?

So Sascha, is this Gretsch on ebay Australia or not? Saw your post just before it was erased.

Edit: or was this posted by blueflame?

– chek

Hi chek!

It was my post, but i realized that it was offered on gumtree.au in June this year not in October as I thought initially. I misread the english date format "06/10/2018" ( in germany its day, month, year). So its possible that it was bought from Australia in June this year and now sold here.

Just for completeness:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/...

Same pictures, posted 5 months apart, half a world apart...I smell a very stinky rat. If I was interested, the first thing I'd do is ask for a specific picture that isn't already listed, like a picture of the butt end showing the tailpiece and strap button. I would bet my paycheck that the response will be some excuse, like I'm on vacation and won't be back before the listing ends, or the dog ate my camera.

I doubt it was bought from Australia and now offered here by someone who has no clue. It's beginning to smell. Be careful.

This prior gumtree listing concerns me, especially since the eBay.de listing uses the same photographs and the seller doesn't take PayPal. And Sascha says the seller told him the guitar is "out of an estate," which seems unlikely if it were in Australia just a few months ago.

And of course, the crazy-low opening bidding.

Re-using the photos and not taking PayPal are red flags all by themselves. But man, the more I think about this confused previous ownership (someone in Australia versus a dead person in Munich? A dead person in Australia and the estate teleported to Germany?) and the discrepancy in values, the questions get dark: if the seller bought it though gumtree-Australia, well, it was listed for $8000AU ($5,763US) on gumtree. Why pay that (or anything near that) and risk taking a huge loss with a €500 ($569US) opening bid in a resell/flip effort?

Inadvertently-omitted "0" on the opening bid price? Or...money laundering?

I'm not setting foot in that.

Paul/FF909

We were all writing at the same time. I came in third on pressing the "add post" button.

Paul/FF909

I don't understand why anyone is referring to June. Australia uses the same date convention as Germany - 6/10/18 means the guitar advert appeared on Gumtree here in Australia on the 6th day of October 2018. Same date (the day prior due to time zone differences) as the eBay advert in Germany. I've spoken to the seller and I believe the Gumtree sale in Western Australia is the genuine one, not the German one.

Yes, a scam. But the guitar is really for sale in Western Australia, and by the way the real seller describes it I wish I was a left-hander!

The current owner in action, some years ago in the Howlin Moondoggies in Sydney -

Thanks Doppler, for your "investigations"

Before I found the gumtree add I was asking for some additional pictures but haven't heard back.

Now, how to report a scam at ebay? There are already low bids on it, maybe also fake, maybe not.

Good job, Doppler!

A button or link exists on eBay listings to "report this item." If I could read German, I could pinpoint it on the listing.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation