Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Late single cut Gent with mutes

Pretty cool item. Outta my range tho. Thanks for posting.

Very pretty guitar!...except for that ghastly thing on the pickguard

That's a special order for sure: the F-hole decals have the white "binding" you'd typically see on Tennies and 6120's. Always fun to see these.

I thought 1961 was the last year for single-cut Country Gentleman guitars. Maybe this is a '61 old stock sold later in 1963. Just curious! Steve

The registry has Serial number xxx07 included (the listing shows xxx01 clearly on the headstock). That one's labelled a 1962 CG (double cut), but there's no image.

FWIW, at least.

I thought 1961 was the last year for single-cut Country Gentleman guitars. Maybe this is a '61 old stock sold later in 1963. Just curious! Steve

– Steve Sanders

There have been at least one each single-cut 6120, White Falcon, and Duo Jet that have shown up later than they were supposed to have been. And now this; pretty sure Gretsch would make you what you wanted.

Once again we see a custom featured (or finished) Gretsch with one of the very first (or last) serial numbers within the batch. This is a trend I've noticed over the years. Not a definitive way to authenticate atypical features but it's a good sign!

I guess it makes sense that the custom builds would take place at the beginning or end of the batch, not interrupting the “assembly line” routine for guitars getting the standard specs. Custom colors as well.

It will be some work to find a replacement gold long tail V-cut Bigsby to bring it back to stock.

Didn't we discuss this one just a few months ago? FWIW, my money is on transitional, rather than custom order. It's not the only of its kind.

Interesting how the dial up knobs/switches are in a different positions on that one. Also on both guitars the neck join at the 15th or so fret, which pushes the bridge forward.

Didn't we discuss this one just a few months ago?

Other site.

But always worth revisiting!

Currently listed at $7400 starting bid. Like but too rich for me.

Didn't we discuss this one just a few months ago?

Other site.

But always worth revisiting!

– knavel

Aha! Thank you. It thought I might be losing my mind.

That's a special order for sure: the F-hole decals have the white "binding" you'd typically see on Tennies and 6120's. Always fun to see these.

– lx

They were doing that on Gents too briefly. Late '61 and early '62. A decent percentage of the early dial-up mute double cuts have the white outlines.

They were doing that on Gents too briefly. Late '61 and early '62. A decent percentage of the early dial-up mute double cuts have the white outlines.

– Afire

Lordy that's a stunning instrument.

Back in the early 1990's I had a long telephone conversation with Bill Hagner. He told me that it was very time consuming to install the dial up mutes -- at least one hour for each guitar, sometimes longer -- and so they were dropped as soon as an alternative -- the lever action mute system-- could be developed. Consequently, there may only have been one batch of Country Gentlemans and one batch of double cut 6120s with this feature. Ed Ball should be able to pin this down with his usual exactitude. I do know that the "painted on f holes" were a common feature on all the '62 single cut Gents with dial up mutes and MOST of the double cut Gents with the dial up mutes. George Harrison's initial double cut Gent with the dial up mutes does NOT have the painted on f holes.

My 61 club had a dial up mute and. D back cover.

I do know that the "painted on f holes" were a common feature on all the '62 single cut Gents with dial up mutes... -ewkewk

There are no '62 single-cut Gents, at least that I'm aware of.

I don't know how many single cuts were even produced in '61, but they're not common. There are only two '61's in the database here, and one of them seems to me to actually be a '60, not a '61.

Yup, I had a hilo Tenny with those outlined holes.

In other news, a pretty straight but worn 58 Gent with a dumb price

https://rover.ebay.com/rove...

– JazzBoxJunky

IMO, not worth half the asking price. It's well beyond the first Gents, beginning at 26401 so no early notoriety there and all the hardware is in the early stages of showing the tell-tale signs of corrosion.

Register Sign in to join the conversation