Vintage Gretsch Guitars

John Entwistles 1959 6120 is up for sale!

wonder why the condition is 8 out of 10? also non original bridge

There was a documentary back in the day where the Interviewer toured his home's storeroom with John talking through the various "cool" guitars collected along the way.

This one stood out as being from a small run of Flame. It took him a while to find a working old set of period correct tuners, the originals couldn't hold any longer.

I was surprised Pete didn't end up with this one after his death. Probably went to his son. Must be a story, somewhere, Pete was never happy about how John spent money...

Alan Rogan, I believe, is/was a favorite guitar tech in England, may still be even, worked with lots of players...

Guitar Player from May 1982. It had a good article on the John Entwistle collection.

The sale is a Music Ground production, so take nothing for granted.

So Pete had concerns about Entwhiste blowing thru Who money? I think they did one tour just to help him out.. Quite a collection he had -- amazing.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/...

Sotheby's Estate Auction for Entwistle. John was millions of Pounds in debt, all the time.

The next tour would earn him a few million Pounds, and he would spend it all again. Back to where he was before.

400 or so items, a very curious 30-40 minutes for those WHO take a look. Many good buys, many insane collectibles, countless instruments, and a never ending accessorized wardrobe.

The Tiger Stripe 6120 is not in the list, but there are several either great, cool, or rare collectible guitars and basses.

Another 6120, a Monkee's Bass, several Jets, a Rancher, an Annie, etc.

Only a few were $$$ pricey, an original Flying V and a 58 Blonde Gibson Explorer stand out...Then, of course the 2 basses he was known to play the most at Shows.

Lots of Airline, Valco, National, Teisco crazy wild early 60's...

More than his fair share of Fender and Gibson, and Alembic...

And countless Horns...

It wasn't per se WHO money, it was John's earnings.

He just could never stop spending.

The first guitar I repaired was an ex Pete Townshend Tele, I think it was this one pictured. The neck was replaced after it was broken, I replaced the bridge on it, I remember it was a very low number as it was stamped on the bridge. That was about 1986 I recall. Quite bizarrely I also share the same birthday as Pete Townshend.

Thanks lx - I'd accept offers above £35K - cheap at half the price!

As if.....

The first guitar I repaired was an ex Pete Townshend Tele, I think it was this one pictured. The neck was replaced after it was broken, I replaced the bridge on it, I remember it was a very low number as it was stamped on the bridge. That was about 1986 I recall. Quite bizarrely I also share the same birthday as Pete Townshend.

– Matt66

That appears to be a Strat neck. Must have already been replaced before this "accident".

http://www.sothebys.com/en/...

Sotheby's Estate Auction for Entwistle. John was millions of Pounds in debt, all the time.

The next tour would earn him a few million Pounds, and he would spend it all again. Back to where he was before.

400 or so items, a very curious 30-40 minutes for those WHO take a look. Many good buys, many insane collectibles, countless instruments, and a never ending accessorized wardrobe.

– Twangmeisternyc

I guess that is what I meant -- his earnings from the Who. Still cool stuff he had. Same /w Ginger Baker -- wasn't doing that well, earned a few million out of the 2005 Cream reunion, and mostly blew it all pretty quickly.

He screwed the bridge down, nice!

It's actually not a 59'.

I also believe this is a '60. I ran across the twin to this guitar 2 years ago at the Vancouver Guitar Show.....with original bridge. It was there for display only unfortunately. Paul Pigat and I discussed it briefly at the show and he knew the owner, who BTW wasn't interested in selling it. Aside from the obvious beauty, this guitar had one particular feature that caught my attention when I saw it and was confirmed when I measured it......the neck was 1.75" wide at the zero fret! Ahhhh!

I checked with Ed at the time and he said it was from that batch of flamey 6120's from '60. While not worth the asking price of Entwhistle's it would surely command a price nicely into 5 figures.

Register Sign in to join the conversation