Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Japanese dudes double down

that is just way too much for that guitar.

Oh, come on. They are throwing in free shipping. Stop your complaining.

You know, the best comeuppance is simply to allow them to advertise it and then to discover that they have set the price far too high when no one responds to the offer.

I think they likely sell for a fair bit more in Japan and Europe. However currently someone in Vancouver is trying to sell one for $6000 It has been listed for quite a while now. People can ask whatever they want for something. Whether it sells or not is a different matter. I have one, it's a beautiful guitar. But I wouldn't pay $6000 for it Or even $3000 as I think the prices are inflated everywhere

I think they likely sell for a fair bit more in Japan and Europe. However currently someone in Vancouver is trying to sell one for $6000 It has been listed for quite a while now. People can ask whatever they want for something. Whether it sells or not is a different matter. I have one, it's a beautiful guitar. But I wouldn't pay $6000 for it Or even $3000 as I think the prices are inflated everywhere

– Toxophilite

The prices are particularly inflated when you consider that the Tennesseean model is almost ubiquitous in the vintage market. They were a less expensive alternative in the Sixties to George's Country Gentleman.

For that price you should be getting a vintage Tenny in superb condition. From the pictures, those frets look to be worn so much they need replacement, not to mention some binding issues and a hinky looking neck joint. Not even a player grade instrument in its present condition. I've seen vintage Tenny's in far better condition selling for significantly less. That one needs a trip to Curt's shop.

Another joke listing.....superbly bad language and all. I laughed as well at the asking price here on Vancouver's CL for a similar Tenny. IMO, a Tenny would have to be literally flawlessly brand new, never played, never out of the case to command even close to $6K, never mind $7.8!! Nice of them to show good close up pics of all the areas that are less than even okay.

I thought George was pretty fond of his Tennessean They are great guitars , as are Anniversaries, it's just that so many people focus on the 6120s, Falcons, Country Gents etc. Most of the difference is hardware, trim and paint jobs.

Fabulous guitars but with so many produced they aren't rare and are up for sale on a regular basis, the sheer number creates competition at prices nowhere approaching this one.

Binding rot, worn neck and fretboard, worn frets, and who knows what else is wrong. Way too much money for what it is. Hopefully, no one gets taken on this and they have to take a loss on it.

This one makes Greg's prices look like a bargain! At least Greg's are for the most part in premium condition.

If you guys are seeing fret wear, your eyes must be much better than mine. I zoomed in and saw no noticeable wear, although the fretboard had some nice grooves in it.

Reminds me of the story of the man walking by a kid who had a puppy for sale. The man asked the kid what he wanted for the puppy, he said, "$10,000."

He saw the kid a few days later and asked the kid if he sold the puppy. The kid said, "Yup." The man asked him if he got $10.000 for it and the kid said, "Yup, sure did." The man said "Really"? The kid said, "Well, sort of. I traded him for 2 $5000 cats."

Register Sign in to join the conversation