Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Jag Tan 1961 Country Club held hostage by Intense Japanese Dudes.

Beautiful guitar, not sure what your point is?

No point at all. Just linking to an unusual vintage Gretsch I thought might be of interest to those whose interests run to vintage Gretsch.

Did I have to have a point?

I often post with no obvious point in mind. I just wondered what was going on with the hostage situation and these intense Tokyo dudes? Thought maybe there was a backstory that involved opium dens and cock fights. Perhaps some houses of ill repute? maybe that’s where the darkness resides?

Just noting it’s for sale by a Japanese dealer. DCBirdman calls them IJDs. I’m waiting for his definition. I thought it made the post more colorful than “for sale from Japan, NFI.”

Well I think a guitar like this deserves an interesting back story...

That's not Jaguar Tan. This is. Here is the "two-tone tan" as described as an Annie option in the '63 catalog; the seller too has this color description wrong. Yeah, and I know that modern Gretsch re-issued the '63 two-tone tan and called it Jaguar Tan. Sigh.

Got your point. Lots of old Gretsch surfacing after being 'held hostage' for some time in Tokyo, depending on the exchange rate and cash flow issues. Visited the seller's store once as I used to live within walking distance.

well that's sort of an ok price -- it's the new Duo Sonics for $1200 I can't figure out. with some it/s pick your price cause it's listed 3 time. this the alternative reality of intense japanese dudes.

Didn't Paul Setzer own that tan Club?

Didn't Paul Setzer own that tan Club?

– kc_eddie_b

That was my first thought too. But, wasn't Paul's a dial-up '62? Or maybe I'm just thinking it should have been a dial-up, and it was muteless and a subsequent owner added the lever mute. I think you're right, this is Paul's old Club.

I added a mute pad and a bolt thru the mute hole and attached a knob to it. Wish I would have kept this one!

Over the years I’ve baited the seller with trades in his favor but no go.

I bought it from a guy up in NY. It was wired with split filtertrons.

photo GretschCountryClubcloseup2.jpg

I often post with no obvious point in mind. I just wondered what was going on with the hostage situation and these intense Tokyo dudes? Thought maybe there was a backstory that involved opium dens and cock fights. Perhaps some houses of ill repute? maybe that’s where the darkness resides?

– Hipbone

The opium dens were in China. The Japanese saw what the British had pulled off there and wanted no part of it. Which one could argue, avalanches into WWII. Not sure about the cockfighting. Sounds more like the Philippines to me. And the houses of ill repute? That’s ALL yakuza.

Register Sign in to join the conversation